Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rings, base good or replace? >

Rings, base good or replace?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rings, base good or replace?

Old 11-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rings, base good or replace?

I know it is hard to tell from this pic but i am going to order a new scope for the remington 7400. Should i replace the rings and base? I will prob buy a 30mm tube so the rings will need to be replaced but...if i dont and get a 1 inch tube, are these rings worth using or should i scrap all of it and start over?

I inherited the gun so have not idea of the brand or history of the rings n bases
Attached Thumbnails Rings, base good or replace?-image.jpg  
Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The base and rings look fine to me from your photo. Unless you have other preferences, or get a 30mm tube, I see no reason to replace them.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Typical Buck

Ok. The scope that came w the gun was a real cheap tasco so made me wonder if the rings and base might be junk so before i re scope wanted to know whether the replacement was necessary. Dont wish tomspend the extra for the sake of it but dont want to have problems either
Old 11-15-2015, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it was me, I'd replace them. If the bases are an older style and it looks like they are in the photo then new rings may not match up right. Bases are pretty cheap when you get right down to it and $50 will get you a top line set.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me, I'd probably put a totally new setup on it. Not that it wouldn't work, but it looks like its not super high dollar, and in fair condition at best.

I have a nice millet 1pc base that uses typical Leupold std style rings ... if you want it I'll sell it to you for the cost of shipping. I have no use for it, sold the gun long ago.

Uses these style rings:

standard rings

This is what the base looks like, but Millet brand

base

Last edited by WV Hunter; 11-15-2015 at 05:08 AM.