Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New 12 gauge barrel >

New 12 gauge barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New 12 gauge barrel

Old 11-10-2015, 04:34 AM
Spike

Default New 12 gauge barrel

Im trying to decide if I want to get a smoothbore with rifle sights for deer and turkey hunting or to get a rifled barrel and stick to the doublebeaded field barrel that came with the gun... Any one got any reccomendations
Old 11-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gavinlobland
Im trying to decide if I want to get a smoothbore with rifle sights for deer and turkey hunting or to get a rifled barrel and stick to the doublebeaded field barrel that came with the gun... Any one got any reccomendations
Go with one of the combos available that include a bead sighted smoothbore and either a rifled barrel with rifled sights or a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. I believe that Mossberg includes 2 or 3 screw in chokes. I saw BassPro has a good selection along those lines on sale until the 22nd or 24th.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Go with one of the combos available that include a bead sighted smoothbore and either a rifled barrel with rifled sights or a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. I believe that Mossberg includes 2 or 3 screw in chokes. I saw BassPro has a good selection along those lines on sale until the 22nd or 24th.
I've already got the gun with the field barrel just looking for a new barrel right now
Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What shotgun do you have? Most brands made now have rifled barrels made for them. I personally would go that route. Much more accurate than a smooth bore with slugs.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
What shotgun do you have? Most brands made now have rifled barrels made for them. I personally would go that route. Much more accurate than a smooth bore with slugs.
Maverick 88 which they do make rifled barrels for so I probably will go that route
Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Gavin, definitely go rifled, with a scope. See if you can find a "cantilever barrel" for it, that will take a scope. I was amazed when I moved to a rifled set up at the increased accuracy I got. Ammo will cost you a little more, but its worth it.
-Jake
Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Rifled barrel and if you shop wisely and your barrel cooperates ammo will not cost that much more.

Federal power shock slugs are getting some good reviews and are half the cost of many other brands.

Al