Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
removing loctited screw >

removing loctited screw

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

removing loctited screw

Old 10-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default removing loctited screw

I've seen various methods discussed, all bad.. To do it easily, use a small air impact wrench, (1/4" or 3/8" drive) vary the pressure until screws back out. Simple. CM
Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cmarsh164
I've seen various methods discussed, all bad.. To do it easily, use a small air impact wrench, (1/4" or 3/8" drive) vary the pressure until screws back out. Simple. CM
Yeah, I think I'll take a pass on using an air impact wrench. It's typically things like scope mounting bases, scope mounts or rings that guys lock-tite. I'm not using an impact on my scope stuff.

I use good old heat.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is what I do, vice the gun, find a very good fitting screwdriver, place it in the slot, apply pressure counter clockwise to loosen, tap the top of the handle of the screwdriver with a hammer, it will come loose.
RR
Old 10-31-2015, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

A lot of misconceptions out there about Loctite. Loctite (242) blue is not permanent, merely helps to keep screws from accidental loosening. Loctite (271) red is tough stuff and usually requires heat to loosen.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Air impact drivers are really great ways to break screws, especially in stainless steel firearms.

Loctite isn't that hard to deal with. If it's blue or purple, turn it out. If it's red, get it hot, and turn it out. It's not that difficult.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've always used and likely always will use Locktite 272 (red). I've never had any trouble removing screws. The trick, as previously mentioned is to use the proper fitting screwdriver. One that fits the slot completely both in width and length.
The problems I've encountered were with allen or torx type cap screws caused by someone over tightening them and stripping out the holes.
A lot of people seriously over tighten scope base and ring screws to the point of stripping heads and damaging scope tubes or even breaking off screw heads.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never used Loctite on anything in my safes and, knock on wood, have never had a screw loosen on any scope mount.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:12 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Heat! Will do the trick
Old 11-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
here is what I do, vice the gun, find a very good fitting screwdriver, place it in the slot, apply pressure counter clockwise to loosen, tap the top of the handle of the screwdriver with a hammer, it will come loose.
RR
This is pretty much how I do it too.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not use Locktite or other such products. I hand tighten and when then put a dab of clear finger nail polish on the top of the screw head. As already mentioned, if you romp down on the mounting screw, you are very likely to strip the threads.

A "hard stop" hand tight with just a scunch more is plenty firm. This method has worked great for me for many, many years. I have never hand any back out. To loosen, just a dab of polish remover softens the dried polish and backing out is simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.