Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking for a review on an AR-type rimfire >

Looking for a review on an AR-type rimfire

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a review on an AR-type rimfire

Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Looking for a review on an AR-type rimfire

Sometime last winter or early spring I was digging around on one of the outdoors websites (I think it was OL, but I'm not 100% certain) and came across a very short review for a rimfire AR type rifle. Supposedly it would fire .22, .22 mag, and .22lr interchangeably, even from the same magazine. Also, supposedly, it was made by M&P. I've checked OL, I've checked the M&P/S&W sites, and I've Googled until my eyes hurt, but I can't find mention of it anywhere.

Anyone know anything about this? Did I dream it? Did the manufacturer plan to do it and then back out? What gives?

And while we're at it, any tips for a decent AR-type rimfire that won't break the bank but that has pretty good accuracy at about 75-100 yards?
Old 10-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about these;

https://www.impactguns.com/22-caliber-ar15-rifle.aspx

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/r...-ar-15-review/

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757784_image

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/01/01...imfire-review/
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have an M&P-15 .22 LR. The thing is amazingly accurate and reliable. It is, for me, solely a plinking rifle because PA in their infinite stupidity do not allow semi automatic rifles for hunting. Even for small game. Of course they don't allow air guns either??
Old 10-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard of any semiauto .22 that would fire .22LR & .22 mag interchangeably. They have different bore size-.222 groove diameter for .22LR and .224 for .22 mag.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't run 22lr in a 22WMR chamber - the LR is a heeled bullet, such that the case and bullet are the same diameter, the WMR is a typical crimped bullet, where the case is larger diameter than the bullet/bore, which leaves the 22LR case undersized for the 22WMR chamber.

It'll fire, but you'll get lots of split cases, and lots of torching in your chambers.

I also can't imagine feeding function would be reliable for a 22lr to strip out of a 22WMR magazine. They'd be standing straight up before they ever reach the chamber.

Not entirely sure how you modify a blowback action to tolerate a WMR but still cycle under a LR. As much trouble as manufacturers have had figuring out the 17HMR in a semiauto, I have a hard time believing they figured out how to make a 22LR and WMR run with the same springs.

I'd venture that it was a misprint - same action was able to support both rounds for different models - but I can't imagine anybody being foolish enough to recommend such a beast, let alone making it work for feeding and reliability.

If you find it, I'll be excited to see it.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Spike

I don't have any experience with .22 caliber guns, so I didn't know that the bullets were all different sizes. So I guess I was just confused.

Thanks for the replies.