Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Caliber question? >

Caliber question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber question?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I have a friend in Hollywood who is a prop master for movies. They deal with all aspects of things on the set along with some special effects and this sounds alot like things he deals with. Must be a fun job.
SH54 you have a lot of all things guns knowledge.
Naaa, just been around them a LONG LONG time. Played with Tannerite quite a bit too. After so many years of shooting and working on them I guess you tend to pick up a thing or 2.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know the budget but maybe tannerite might be a less of a headache?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tannerite is sone serious stuff. I honestly can't believe you can just walk in and buy it off the shelf.
My buddy shot off 11lbs at one time. Holy cow. It shook my house from 500yds away.

I'm not sure what to do in regards to the OP's question, but if you could get that stuff to work...its impressive.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO! an 11 pound tanner shoot! Biggest I've ever popped off was a 5 pounder at 800 yards. Knowing the target was hit was NOT in question
Old 10-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Spike

quick update... With another senseless tragedy by the lunatic in Oregon, I can understand concerns about "recklessness" on youtube, etc when it comes to firearms.

We had a successful camera shoot today. The setup was quite impressive. About $100K in video and camera equipment (this is what these guys do for a living) the full green screen backdrop, etc.

I picked up some tannerite (thank you for the suggestion), but the letter blocks being used did not lend themselves to being able to insert much of the material. The one shot we did with the tannerite added a little more smoke to the pic, but was not worth the time it took. We shot the plain plaster letters using a .243 with 100gr Remington CoreLok. Just happened to be what I had the most of in the safe, so we ran with it. I was operating the rifle about 30 yds back, and went through this process for 8 letters. I must say, I did impress myself by nailing the 1.5" by 1.5" square "dot" for the letter "I" .

Here are a couple of picks to give you an idea on what we were doing. Note that I am using my phone to take a still shot off of the computer monitor, so not all that clear of a pic...
Attached Thumbnails Caliber question?-att_1443736971711_20151001_124407.jpg   Caliber question?-20151001_124448.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Tannerite is sone serious stuff. I honestly can't believe you can just walk in and buy it off the shelf.
My buddy shot off 11lbs at one time. Holy cow. It shook my house from 500yds away.

I'm not sure what to do in regards to the OP's question, but if you could get that stuff to work...its impressive.
I buy it at Academy all the time but I guess the laws change from state to state.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

A .220 Swift or 22-250 either with a light bullet or even a .243 with a very light bullet would make for spectacular impact explosions. The velocity makes a huge difference.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nnerite+vs+car
RR
Old 10-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am actually very surprised that anyone can walk into a sporting goods store that sells tannerite and walk out with as much as you can afford. I don't buy the stuff because I have had a belly full of fools blowing up crap, including target frames on firing ranges. For those who know, is there any kind of record kept of the purchasers? For a while anyone who bought amonium nitrate fertilizer was under suspicion unless you were a farmer. Not that I am advocating records by the government but it is amazing it is legal to sell an explosive no questions asked. One would think Homeland Security would put an end to that with all the clips on you tube.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

the guys using large amounts make their own, its easy to make
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.