Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Baby arrived today! >

New Baby arrived today!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Baby arrived today!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Baby arrived today!

New build arrived today!!!! AR in .338fed. Had an idea to get a rifle to replace my 7mm/08 AR for my longer range "over the hay field" shots that I end up with a lot on hog hunts. 200-300-even 400 yard shot options are there more often than I like. While my 7mm.08 does a good job, since my accident I have had a lot of time and boredom on my hands so I got to thinking "why not have something in the 30 caliber range built for longer shots that will have some authority on impact". So, I put my little mind to work and had a brilliant idea! Ask NoMercy!!!!! So I enlisted his over sized brain and ingenuity and we started thinking it through. Started out thinking about the newer 300 SAUM which that idea was shot down fairly quickly by our resident AR genius because of the need for a fairly long barrel (at least 24 inch). SO, he brought up the idea of the .338fed because of the bigger bore I can get away with even hotter loads with a shorter 20-22 inch barrel. It was also a better idea because I already have a .338 barrel for my TC and have tons of brass as well as the dies and such for reloading. So, the task of forming the idea of what to build was complete. Now for the materials! Already had a DPMS lower all ready to go with a Magpul PRS and a Geissele SSA trigger and 3 or 4 foreends laying around as well as 10 or 12 mags laying around so all lower stuff hinge pins and all were here. Needed new upper and barrel. So per NoMercy's advice I took a look at Aero Precision uppers. He's used them and knows they run great. SOOOO took a look and found they have excellent prices and a good reputation. Ended up ordering right there and then the M5 .308 assembled upper in Ano Black for $155!! Great price from what I have found. Next was a BCG. Ended up with the complete nitrided one with FA for $215 (little salty but worth it) Charging handle was $30 I think. Now for the big business,,, A barrel!!! NoMercy has been towing the line for Black Hole Weaponry so I figured what the heck! They have a "you no like you no pay" sorta policy so no harm in trying. Went to their site and was pleasantly surprised at their prices. Got a standard profile 22" 1:9.3 twist Machine finish for $340 and they put it all together for me as well! Oh yeah, JP AGB with the adjustment screw in the front so I can access it with a long allen wrench. Makes for a lot easier adjustment for tuning in my loads as well as when I use a can.

Sooo like a kid with a new toy I immediately head out to my range to check the running capability out and break it in a bit before group testing (real group testing). SOOO I noticed something right off the bat (after sight in). My first shot from each mag was 1 inch high left! At first I thought it was a clean bore effect but that weren't it! (Per instructions I'm cleaning with a light oil patch then dry after every 5th shot) but I eliminated the clean bore question and found that any time I charge by hand that shot is high left! Seems that the bolt set just doesn't set by hand as well or maybe just a slight bit differently than by firing cycling. Other than that at 100 yards I'm getting apprx. .585" groups with a fairly light load of 47 grains Varget under some 180 grain Nozler accu's that I had a box of laying around. Pretty darn sporty for break in shooting! Can't wait to really get busy dialing in my intended 225 grain Hornady interlocks. If they shoot as accurately as those (hopefully even better) those will be what I plan of hog dropping with!! According to the loading data I should be getting around 2400 to 2500fps with the 225's. According to NoMercy I can expect to get somewhere between 50 and 100 fps more because of the rifling design of the BH barrels.

Recoil was expected to be moderate but because of the weight (Total with scope and full 10 round mag 13.6#) and this being a semi those 180's were extremely tame! All in all the accuracy seems to be like it's going to be very good to excellent. We will see after some extensive testing Right now I just threw on a little Prostaff 3-9x40 on it for testing and fooling around (may just keep it on there too) but my plan's are to put a Monarch 3 2.5-10x42 on it for those longer range punts

Last edited by super_hunt54; 09-10-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try charging an empty mag, replace with a loaded one, and push the bolt release. It might fix your first shot issue.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me thinks I already fixed it. After writing that small book I went back out to do some more shooting since the rain stopped. I tried bumping the FA a little harder, not quite a smack but a firm bump up and that seems to have fixed the issue. I've always bumped them on reloads from habit anyway but it seems this here upper is a bit on the finiky side. May need to get another buffer spring to one of them Chrome Silicon jobs. It may not have enough stored energy for enough forward thrust on the hand charging.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a great setup. Been awhile,but reloaded some 160 ttsx in my 338 win mag. The round grouped roughly moa with around 69 grains of H4350. Only got to kill one for,but she went less than 50 yds. Your 225gr Hornady sounds real good,but for a lower recoil option the 160 ttsx might be good. Can't imagine a hog walking away from a ttsx in the boiler room...
Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

A new baby and no pics?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
A new baby and no pics?
Yeah Super. you're trying to talk me into a 338 FED and you don't post any pics???
Old 09-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
Sounds like a great setup. Been awhile,but reloaded some 160 ttsx in my 338 win mag. The round grouped roughly moa with around 69 grains of H4350. Only got to kill one for,but she went less than 50 yds. Your 225gr Hornady sounds real good,but for a lower recoil option the 160 ttsx might be good. Can't imagine a hog walking away from a ttsx in the boiler room...
My 7mm.08 I already shoot 139gr Interlocks from. I got this new build for some "Hammer Of Thor" action at longer range. Hence the use of the 225 grain Inters Excellent BC and it's really hard to argue with 225 grains smacking you in the side It's why I got the 1:9.3 twist so it will handle the larger grain bullets.

A new baby and no pics?
Originally Posted by bronko22000
Yeah Super. you're trying to talk me into a 338 FED and you don't post any pics???
My wife decided to drive like a maniac a while back jumping my truck over hills and such and the camera paid the price for it. Haven't went out and bought a new one yet. Never was one for posting pics and such anyway. I like people to image things in their minds from descriptions (actually I just suck with computers and never can get the damn things to load up right but shhhhhh don't tell anyone )
Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

A new baby and no pics?
blasphemy I say!!! Shame on you my friend!!!