Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying One Rifle 30-30 or 45-70 Please Help Me Decide/Handicapped Hunter >

Buying One Rifle 30-30 or 45-70 Please Help Me Decide/Handicapped Hunter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying One Rifle 30-30 or 45-70 Please Help Me Decide/Handicapped Hunter

Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
I dunno, kilt about 10 or so with the 30-30 about 6 with the 35 never seen much of a difference between the two.
Then it's the other 4 that you will "sunset flip", "sooflex" & "atomic drop" the next time you whackm with a 35!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or he could get really fun and crazy and go with a Marlin .444! Killed a powerful lot of hogs and deer with the old .444. Shes been my brush deer/hog gun for a lot of years. Aint had either one go too dern fer after taking a 260-300 grain pill from her. Good out to 200 yards all day long with it. Every time I take the .458 out she just looks all hurt and pitiful at me so I take her along with me on my hog hunts. Make her happy at least one day out of the hunts. Isn't to awful hard on the shoulder unless I load up some seriously hot 300 grain loads. Then she lets me know who's boss
Old 09-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

The question and post about spraying down the ATV. I remember in high school I worked at a gas station pumping gas and changing oil. I smelled like an oil can most of the time. But as I recall during that period I saw a lot of deer and some within spitting distance! But back then I hunted wood lots in farm country and maybe the deer were used to the smell from the farmer's tractor, truck, etc.
These days I wash my clothes in that special detergent, take showers with scent free soap, use scent free deodorant and spray down with scent killer.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

lets just cut to the quick.....you want a 45-70 don't you.....so get one and get on with it.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

My son is wanting a 45/70 guide gun . He is wanting to put a 4x scope or possibly a 1x4 or 2x7 on it, all good in my opinion, I told him I would lean towards the 4x fixed myself, with the recoil less that can go wrong.

With a quality bullet like a Nosler Partition there is not much in NA you could not hunt with it. short of the big 5 and maybe a Grizzly I would say you got the gambit covered. I can't think of a better pig combination. If there is one someone is gonna have to show me one,