Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag. >

Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Spike

Default Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag.

I've recently purchased a Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag 26'' barrel(standard).

I'm hoping to get some advice/insight on what kind of quality ammo runs best out of this weapon, Scope insight(Obj, tube size, magnification range, ect) and what kind of bedding(brand and type) people are using on this to bed and float.

This is my first big rifle purchase, so any additional insight/tips is appreciated.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot more information is needed before members can give you any proper response.
What is your purpose for owning this gun? Target shooting, hunting or both?
If hunting, what seasons, animals and terrain do you expect to encounter?
How far have you ever shot, expect to shoot and how recoil sensitive are you?
How much do you have to invest in a scope and mounting system?
As far as what the gun likes in bullet weight or brands, only the gun can tell you that. Some gun are more finicky than others and some shoot a variety of ammo well
I believe you will get the desired help when you give more info.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually shoot 180 or 200 grain bullets in hand loaded ammunition in my 26" 300WM. Often bullets lighter than 150 or 165 do not do very well in the 300WM.

The scope you choose will depend upon what your needs are for your type of hunting (game size, distance, etc.), but something in either the 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 will probably be a good place to start. I am assuming that you are going to hunt larger body game like elk and that your shots will mostly be over 100 yards since you chose a 30 caliber magnum rifle. Do not buy a discount scope and expect it to last long on your 300WM. Same thing for rings and bases. Eye relief is also important. There are many good choices but you can never go wrong with a Leupold for really good eye relief in a rugged and reliable scope.

Which stock do you have (synthetic, synthetic with an aluminum bedding block, or walnut)? As for bedding compound I would look at Accuglass Gel from Brownell's. There are a few other bedding compounds that I use but that is the one that I use the most.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
A lot more information is needed before members can give you any proper response.
What is your purpose for owning this gun? Target shooting, hunting or both?
If hunting, what seasons, animals and terrain do you expect to encounter?
How far have you ever shot, expect to shoot and how recoil sensitive are you?
How much do you have to invest in a scope and mounting system?
As far as what the gun likes in bullet weight or brands, only the gun can tell you that. Some gun are more finicky than others and some shoot a variety of ammo well
I believe you will get the desired help when you give more info.
Thank you for the response. This is the kind of information I hoping to get when ask questions. This will help me learn down the road, as I'm new to this.

I purchased this gun for mixture of both Hunting and Target Shooing(Hobby).

Initially, I will be hunting deer. However, within the next year I will be planning an Elk trip with my Dad and hope to do some moose hunting within the next 5 years.

Terrain areas would include, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Montana and Alaska(These are the areas I plan to hunt). Primarily Missouri and Kansas.

I have shot before .308, 30-30, 7.62X39, 30-06. So, I'm not too recoil sensitive, but never shot the 300 win mag. So, I don't know what to expect form the recoil on that round.

I'm looking to invest around $500 in the scope.

The Stock on the weapon in Synthetic(black).

Hopefully this will help you provide some of the answer I seek.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I usually shoot 180 or 200 grain bullets in hand loaded ammunition in my 26" 300WM. Often bullets lighter than 150 or 165 do not do very well in the 300WM.

The scope you choose will depend upon what your needs are for your type of hunting (game size, distance, etc.), but something in either the 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 will probably be a good place to start. I am assuming that you are going to hunt larger body game like elk and that your shots will mostly be over 100 yards since you chose a 30 caliber magnum rifle. Do not buy a discount scope and expect it to last long on your 300WM. Same thing for rings and bases. Eye relief is also important. There are many good choices but you can never go wrong with a Leupold for really good eye relief in a rugged and reliable scope.

Which stock do you have (synthetic, synthetic with an aluminum bedding block, or walnut)? As for bedding compound I would look at Accuglass Gel from Brownell's. There are a few other bedding compounds that I use but that is the one that I use the most.
Appreciate the advice. I do plan to hunt Elk and Moose in Time. I will be using the come November for Whitetail. The shots will likely not be much further than 200 yards away(for whitetail). I made this purchase to avoid having multiple rifles for hunting. I read many articles that state this is a good powered round that can take down basically anything in North America at pretty good distances.

I'm going noob here, but when you say Eye relief..can you elaborate its meaning?

Also, I have the synthetic stock
Old 08-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this rifle in .300 Win Mag, only shot it a few times and it sits in the safe.....I have a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50
Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eye relief is the distance between the ocular portion of the scope (end you look through) and where you place you cheek on the stock (more precisely, where your eye is).

It's a concern with magnum calibers, so that the recoil from the shot does not make the scope hit your eye/head - called getting "scoped" or "scope eye".

It happens to everyone, at one time or another (LOL) - more often when shooting at a steep angle.

Know that that eye relief / distance changes with a variable powered scope.

IE: low power = more eye relief

high power = less eye relief

Lastly, you need to have the scope mounted so that you can REPEAT the place on the stock where you feel the most comfortable putting your cheek - called "cheek weld".

See link below for more info;

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/mas...per-eye-relief

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-19-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Eye relief is the distance between the ocular portion of the scope (end you look through) and where you place you cheek on the stock (more precisely, where your eye is).

It's a concern with magnum calibers, so that the recoil from the shot does not make the scope hit your eye/head - called getting "scoped" or "scope eye".

It happens to everyone, at one time or another (LOL) - more often when shooting at a steep angle.

Know that that eye relief / distance changes with a variable powered scope.

IE: low power = more eye relief

high power = less eye relief

Lastly, you need to have the scope mounted so that you can REPEAT the place on the stock where you feel the most comfortable putting your cheek - called "cheek weld".

See link below for more info;

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/mas...per-eye-relief
Excellent information Sheridan. Thanks for the clarification and additional information.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
I have this rifle in .300 Win Mag, only shot it a few times and it sits in the safe.....I have a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50
is the 3.5-10 magnification power strong enough for accurate clear shots out 300yards?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older Rem 700 in 300 Win. Mag. Practically all of my hunting is white tail deer in the south for wich i stick with my 308 Win. Most of my hunting is in Ala., Ark. and some in Texas. As you probably already know you may have to go through several different loads before finding the one that groups the best. Fortunately there are many very good factory loads out there for the 300 Win. Mag. I am confident one or more will group great.

As far as scope, buy the best quality you can possibly afford. I would certainly look at what Leupold offers in your price range. If you can go up a few hundred, a Swarovski Z3 is a fine scope , as is the Ziess Conquest. Something like a 3-9X40 mm should be fine.

Bullet ? I have only limited experience anything "big" .... only one elk hunt under my belt. I would certainly look at one of the bullets that is known to retain expand well while retaining weight. My particular choice for my 300 Win. Mag. rifle is a 200 gr. Nosler Partition. I have used this set up only on mule deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.