Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag. >

Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jcofzf
is the 3.5-10 magnification power strong enough for accurate clear shots out 300yards?
Yes, it is. At least for killing deer.

If you want to hit smaller targets, more magnification is often very nice.

I like the Score High adjustable pillar blocks, and their kit with stockmakers screws is very handy. Pro-Bed 2000 is available in a kit from them too, but there are other options for bedding compound that will make you happy also.

I personally have a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50mm (30mm tube) on my most frequently used 300win mag. The same magnification in a 40mm would be a bit smaller and lighter - and cheaper - and a good option for such a powerful, long range capable round. It's not a $500 scope, however.

$500 tends to be a dead zone, in my opinion, for scope buying. If I'm going to spend that much, I save a bit more and go for the best of the best in the $800-1200 ballpark.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a Remington 700 SS in 300 win mag. It is not bedded and yet shoots very well. I did get it Mag Na Ported however. Wears a Leopold compact silver scope 3x9.

I use it a lot to shoot across cranberry bogs for white tail. Hand load 165gr. sierra HPBT game kings over a charge of IMR 4350.

Does a good job across the bogs.

Al
Old 08-20-2015, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also wanted to mention, if you aren't far from a Bass Pro, they are having their Fall Hunting Classic the 21st-30th of this month. If you can round up a cheap scope, you can trade it in on the one you choose, and save a fair amt. of money.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would look for a scope that has at least 3.5" of eye relief. More is sometimes better but there are always trade-off issues, so I would stick with something in the 3.5" - 4" range.

A 40mm objective (not a 50mm) would be my choice for the front end. You can mount a 40mm lower to get a better cheek weld, and 40mm scopes weigh less and usually cost less.

If your $500 budget includes the cost of good rings and bases you might want to look at something like a 4x12 VX-2 for a scope. There is a good selection of quality scopes in the $300+ range from established manufacturers. Any way you cut it you will want good quality rings and bases. Rings and bases are important.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Spike

Also, recoil reduction. I'm thinking of going with the Limbsaver Airtech Recoil pad. Seems to have quite a few positive reviews upon browsing online. Any suggestions? Im not interested in the muzzle break, because I don't want the increased noise level..not trying to get kicked in the head at the range.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I would look for a scope that has at least 3.5" of eye relief. More is sometimes better but there are always trade-off issues, so I would stick with something in the 3.5" - 4" range.

A 40mm objective (not a 50mm) would be my choice for the front end. You can mount a 40mm lower to get a better cheek weld, and 40mm scopes weigh less and usually cost less.

If your $500 budget includes the cost of good rings and bases you might want to look at something like a 4x12 VX-2 for a scope. There is a good selection of quality scopes in the $300+ range from established manufacturers. Any way you cut it you will want good quality rings and bases. Rings and bases are important.
Good information. Thank you! Got any pointers on preferred reticle design? I would love to get a horus, but that stuff doesn't come cheap!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Horus is a pretty cool reticle, but might be a little to "busy" for a hunting reticle. Everyones experience is different, but with the bucks I've had in my scope I wouldn't have had time for the Horus. I would look at either a duplex or maybe a ballistic plex. Depending on the range a 300 Win Mag can be sighted in to give you flat shooting for quite aways 275-300 yards maybe. Playing with the online ballistic calculators will give you some ideas. I really like Hornadys ballistic calculator.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, recoil reduction..... Any suggestions? ......
Not on the reduction pad, but there is also reduced recoil ammo.
Midwayusa has 150 gr. Rem. Core Lokt on clearance. That should be good for breaking in the gun or use on deer. It's only rated for 200 yds. but it can do better, especially w/that longer barrel on your rifle.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
Horus is a pretty cool reticle, but might be a little to "busy" for a hunting reticle. Everyones experience is different, but with the bucks I've had in my scope I wouldn't have had time for the Horus. I would look at either a duplex or maybe a ballistic plex. Depending on the range a 300 Win Mag can be sighted in to give you flat shooting for quite aways 275-300 yards maybe. Playing with the online ballistic calculators will give you some ideas. I really like Hornadys ballistic calculator.
Forgot to add that the 275-300 yd estimate was based on 2" high at 100 yards with a 180 grain bullet.

Not too keep plugging Hornadys ballistic calculator, but I think its pretty easy to use and by plugging in a few scenarios for bullet weight and velocity you start to learn trajectorys pretty quick.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good information. Thank you! Got any pointers on preferred reticle design? I would love to get a horus, but that stuff doesn't come cheap!
I like Mil-dot as my first priority, or standard Plex reticles for hunting. The NP-R2 is another favorite, but again, expensive. The Horus, I don't see the draw - I dial elevation and hold windage, there's way too much happening in that reticle for me.