Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anybody shot this? >

Has anybody shot this?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anybody shot this?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I got a couple of hounds that your mutt would fit right in with! Damn dogs aint ever met a stranger. Zeus and Hera (The Rotties) on the other hand barely like themselves, much less strangers. Someone even looks at my grandbaby's crosseyed better have their Will in order though. Hera is especially protective of them.

As far as ammo prices go, that must be some seriously crap ammo you are running through your .223 to be getting it that cheap. I stick with Hornady for a lot of my rifles. Their bullets just perform well in both exterior ballistics as well as terminal. Hell I cant beat 24 cents per BULLET let alone fully built factory ammo in a .223. Not ammo of any quality anyway. I don't shoot just to hear my rifle go "bang". And I don't shoot that old mil surp crap out of my weapons either. I like my firearms a little too much to feed them stuff like that.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LOL I got a couple of hounds that your mutt would fit right in with! Damn dogs aint ever met a stranger. Zeus and Hera (The Rotties) on the other hand barely like themselves, much less strangers. Someone even looks at my grandbaby's crosseyed better have their Will in order though. Hera is especially protective of them.

As far as ammo prices go, that must be some seriously crap ammo you are running through your .223 to be getting it that cheap. I stick with Hornady for a lot of my rifles. Their bullets just perform well in both exterior ballistics as well as terminal. Hell I cant beat 24 cents per BULLET let alone fully built factory ammo in a .223. Not ammo of any quality anyway. I don't shoot just to hear my rifle go "bang". And I don't shoot that old mil surp crap out of my weapons either. I like my firearms a little too much to feed them stuff like that.
It's Wolf 62 grain hollow points, actually. Some might call it junk, but it does go "bang" every time. It also shoots sub-MOA to 250 yards and make nice holes in coyotes, which is just icing on the cake, I guess. I still have the first AR I ever bought. It probably has 4-5k rounds through it now, and I'm just starting to see a little throat erosion. Once you've built a few ARs, swapping out a barrel is kinda like putting new brake pads on your truck. All I know is that if you're spending 24 cents per bullet, your pockets are way deeper than mine!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I have a feeling you are fairly young CJ so I've probably had many many more years to deepen them But hell I have a wife that would tell me I'm broke even if I had 100 mil in the bank. Dang woman could pinch a dime out of a penny! She'd be the reason I have pretty much anything. I always focused on the making of it, she focused on the saving of it. I'm a little too distracted by shiny objects

I don't plink much really. I hit the range regularly to keep in shooting shape (muscle memory is a short memory) but I don't send a couple hundred rounds downrange each time anymore like I used to. When I'm getting ready for a P-Dog shoot I'll warm up the .22-250 and the .220 swift pretty hot for a week or 2 to dial everything in (including myself) so yeah I build higher quality rounds since I'll be shooting 200-500 yards on tiny little rats. So no I don't really "plink" much. The AR's I have are 6.8 SPCII, .458SOCOM, and 7mm.08 (new 338fed coming soon THANKS MERCY) and those puppies aint cheap to shoot at ALL since all the loads I build for them are dedicated hog killer rounds.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before Sandy Hook, I used to buy plinking ammo in Remington UMC 50grn JHP's for 31c per round, and 55grn FMJ's for 34c per round. They're 44c per round now. Not premium ammo, but they're far from "junk".

I've been "dollar cost averaging" my ammo and reloading components for about 10yrs - I diligently allocate a chunk of my monthly budget to my shooting habit, so it keeps me happily fed, and happily stocked.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Mercy, your one of the lucky few that has a wife that likes to shoot almost as much as you so she doesn't get as "upset" as a lot of other wives at the expense. Mine likes to shoot handguns a good bit and a couple of rifles I set up for her but you can still see the smoke coming out her ears when I make an impulse buy. Ammo there in Kansas is a LOT cheaper than it is here in Illinois. Cheapest I can find Rem UMC is a 200 count bulk pack of the 55gr for 99.99 +tax. Taxes here are pretty ridiculous to say the least.