Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

recoil pad

Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

How did those guyz back in the 50's, 60's & 70's handle all that recoil ??

They must have made them tougher than - LOL !!!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Sell that old design and get a new rifle with a soft pad, 3 way safety that controls the firing pin and maybe even CRF!

The Kimber, Ruger and other rifles are not all that expensive.

Nobody wants push feed like the M700 and the weak extractor and brazed on bolt handle that they have.

Last edited by Savage_99; 08-01-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: To clarify that the 700 is not a prefered design!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Back in the 50's 60's and 70's we didn't have magnum rifles for the most part. Shot gun shells were 2 3/4 inch.
We didn't spend hours at the range as ammo was an expanse and best used to harvest game.
When products started showing up on the market to tame the recoil we bought the products.
When Money got more plentiful we shot at targets a bit more too so wanted the products that reduced the recoil.

Al
Old 08-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default What?????

"Sell that old design and get a new rifle with a soft pad, 3 way safety that controls the firing pin and maybe even CRF!

Nobody wants push feed and the weak extractor they have".

This was helpful! Especially the last sentence.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
"Sell that old design and get a new rifle with a soft pad, 3 way safety that controls the firing pin and maybe even CRF!

Nobody wants push feed and the weak extractor they have".

This was helpful! Especially the last sentence.
Thanks for catching that nobody does prefer the M700 with it's weak extractor and push feed.

I corrected it above with:

"Nobody wants push feed like the M700 and the weak extractor they have."
Old 08-02-2015, 03:39 AM
Spike

LOL, if it were me, I'd buy the cheapest pair of flip flops/rubber sandals.....around a $1, and make a recoil pad out of it. I have around five rifles with such a recoil pad.

Recall first time I showed up at range with a stock on a rifle I that I'd made and had used a cheapo flip flop for its recoil pad. Gents there had quite a chuckle at the recoil pad I'd made using a flip flop, but all agreed it worked and actually looked decent.

You can remove your original butt plate and just glue on the recoil pad with silicone adhesive. I just place the butt on the sandal, trace around the butt with a fine point marker on the sandal.....then use my bandsaw to cut out the pad. Then I use my belt sander to smooth its edges and get a perfect fit on the butt and then just glue it on. Have yet to have one of my cheapo pads come off. But, using silicone adhesive, allows me to easily remove it if I wanted too.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huffmanite--that is genius!!! Us poor folks have to improvise.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Sell that old design and get a new rifle with a soft pad, 3 way safety that controls the firing pin and maybe even CRF!

Nobody wants push feed like the M700 and the weak extractor and brazed on bolt handle that they have.
I guess that makes me a Nobody as I have 2 Rem M700s that have each been to Africa twice where they killed 34 African animals including the Cape Buffalo in my avatar. I've also used them for Montana elk and antelope and Canadian caribou and Musk ox, two of which made the B&C record book. Yep, those M700 rifles are terrible and Nobody wants one.

Oh, and my .300 Weatherby Vanguard is also push feed and has a two position safety just like the M700 Remingtons. It is getting ready to make it's second trip to Africa where it will add to it's list of animals that also include a couple of Montana bull elk, a New Zealand Stag and Tahr and ...
Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder if he knows a Savage Mod 99 is a push feed as is my Mod 88 Win, and the .760 slide action, everything except a semi auto and single shot is a push feed, just a difference in how the bolt is pushed closed.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I wonder if he knows a Savage Mod 99 is a push feed as is my Mod 88 Win, and the .760 slide action, everything except a semi auto and single shot is a push feed, just a difference in how the bolt is pushed closed.
That's wrong!

The 99 Savage rifles are control round feed. CRF!

The M88 and 760 are only push feed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.