Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shark tooth muzzle brake/compensator combination >

Shark tooth muzzle brake/compensator combination

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shark tooth muzzle brake/compensator combination

Old 06-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm freaking lost here. Are you a cop Freightliner? I just ask because I am trying to figure out the need for this devise for anyone. Breaching is far from a civilian need. Nothing to do with self defense. I'm all for 2nd amendment rights and all that and firmly believe all US citizens have the right to arm and protect themselves. What I don't see is the need for a breaching tool in civilian hands since it's only use would be ILLEGAL outside of law enforcement or military. Besides, a 12 gauge loaded with breaching rounds is a MUCH better alternative.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Spike

Cool, thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Freightliner357
Door breaches and CQB
So, I'll say this, such that I can say in the future - don't say that I didn't warn you...

1) Breaching with a high pressure rifle round is idiotic, for multiple reasons. If you've ever done any breaching, you'd realize that it's not for the feint of heart, nor for anyone without hearing protection. Doing so with a 12ga is bad enough, breaching blast from rifles is just awful, and the destructive effect is orders of magnitude lower than that of a shotgun.

2) Muzzle devices, even bayonets, have been proven ineffective. As someone that has trained and has instructed in CQB, if I ever found myself in a scenario where those skills were necessary, I would LOVE to have my adversary attempt to use a flash hider against me. By the time you're close enough to use your mean looking muzzle break, my rifle is behind my back or on the ground, and my pistol or my knife is in my hand, and my free hand goes to your muzzle break - now I own control of your muzzle, and you're dead. You are easy prey if you try to use that device as a weapon.

It's a gimmick - guys want their rifles to look mean. I can get that. But don't be deluded enough to believe that it offers a tactical advantage for those applications.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
So, I'll say this, such that I can say in the future - don't say that I didn't warn you...

1) Breaching with a high pressure rifle round is idiotic, for multiple reasons. If you've ever done any breaching, you'd realize that it's not for the feint of heart, nor for anyone without hearing protection. Doing so with a 12ga is bad enough, breaching blast from rifles is just awful, and the destructive effect is orders of magnitude lower than that of a shotgun.

2) Muzzle devices, even bayonets, have been proven ineffective. As someone that has trained and has instructed in CQB, if I ever found myself in a scenario where those skills were necessary, I would LOVE to have my adversary attempt to use a flash hider against me. By the time you're close enough to use your mean looking muzzle break, my rifle is behind my back or on the ground, and my pistol or my knife is in my hand, and my free hand goes to your muzzle break - now I own control of your muzzle, and you're dead. You are easy prey if you try to use that device as a weapon.

It's a gimmick - guys want their rifles to look mean. I can get that. But don't be deluded enough to believe that it offers a tactical advantage for those applications.
Good to know, glad I got some perspective. I've seen handguards that cover the barrel completely, and some that leave the barrel sticking out. With experience in CQB, which do you prefer ?

Last edited by Freightliner357; 06-07-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Freightliner357
Good to know, glad I got some perspective. I've seen handguards that cover the barrel completely, and some that leave the barrel sticking out. With experience in CQB, which do you prefer ?
To be honest, the difference is moot. In terms of CQB within hand-to-hand range, a rifle is not your friend.

Alternatively, there's an advantage to having the farthest forward grip position is worth something, including shooting from support. I used 15" handguards for my latest builds.

But being transparent, there is at least one disadvantage in over-block rails. For adjustable gas blocks, I have to remove my handguards to adjust. I suppose extra length costs extra weight too, but not enough for me to cry about.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

But being transparent, there is at least one disadvantage in over-block rails. For adjustable gas blocks, I have to remove my handguards to adjust. I suppose extra length costs extra weight too, but not enough for me to cry about.
That's why I ordered that JP block I got Mercy. The adjustment screw is in the front and easily reachable with a long T-Handled Allen. http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-SO.750B
Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a Syrac Ord block, just sold through JP.

The JP blocks that I use are locking models. The set screw runs through the side, then the locking screw is accessed through the front.

15" guards on mid-length and carbine length systems are also a bit of a challenge - that's a REALLY long allen wrench.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Yeah I have some 12 inch T-Handle Allens I use for working on AC systems when needed. They come in handy on a LOT of things.