Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lefty guns and good calibers >

Lefty guns and good calibers

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lefty guns and good calibers

Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

your last post tells me all I need to know, so I'm done with this topic. study up on ballistics and get back with me.
RR
Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of shooters that only relate to the paradigm that long shots are taken out of desperation, when a hunter can't get closer.

Bowhunters make the same type of statements about guys that shoot deer at 70yrds.

The fact that I CAN get close to deer is irrelevant, because of the fact that I CAN kill them cleanly at 600yrds with a rifle or 70yrds with a bow. Taking a long shot doesn't mean I'm desperately taking the only shot I can get - it means I have game within my effective range for the weapon I'm carrying, and I'm leveling a shot that I'm proficient enough to take.

If a guy really wanted to walk around with a ruler in his pocket, you could ask - I don't know why anyone ever shoots 50yrds, it's too risky and deer will run off... It's no more true than saying someone shouldn't shoot 500yrds or 1,500yrds for those reasons, but it's just as ignorant.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 05-31-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a Bow, I don't take shots past 40 for penetration reasons. I like clean pass throughs with 2 nice big holes to bleed that critter out nice and quick. I practice with Bow at ridiculous yardages to increase my confidence level at the yardages I set for myself for hunting. I look at it like this, If I can hit my mark consistently at 70-80 yards then 40 yards is a chip shot and one that I know will 99% of the time pass through cleanly and not with the arrow hanging in there plugging up the hole somewhat. With rifle there are just too many variables, including animal behavior, for the AVERAGE hunter to be taking shots past 400 yards.

The original OP was asking about the differences between the 30.06 and the 300WM at ranges 400 yards MAX that he hunts at. At his SPECIFIED ranges the answer is, there isn't enough difference between the 2 to constitute the expense of a 300WM in ammo and recoil increase.

And RR, I answered your little "challenge" the other day in PM so's not to hijack the thread.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

read that! and I used the wrong term on my last post, you came across as a typical long range anti
If you had as much experience shooting game at extended ranges as you talk about
1) you would know that gut shot whitetails do not run when shot beyond 600 yards, they cannot relate the sound of the shot that far off to danger, they are hurt and just bed up, some don't go 10 yards before laying down
2) if you knew the quarry, you could tell watching they're "body language" when you had the shot window. you do not shoot them if their head is down, you do not shoot them if they are looking at something. When they have weight on both front feet, staring into the distance, listening there is your window, they will not move for over 1/2 second, that gives the bullet time to get there.
It takes much patience but it is really not hard to figure out, I once had an 8 point in my crosshairs for over 3 hours before the shot window appeared, he never took a step after impact.
RR
Old 05-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Na, to each their own as far as long range hunting RR. I don't care for it for reasons stated. I feel most others shouldn't attempt it for reasons stated (Lack of practice shooting long distance). But that is a topic for another thread.
Edit to add: And BTW, when I stated "Less Lazy" on that post, I was meaning ME in that instance because I could very well HAVE gotten much closer but I had just hiked a little over 3 miles (most of it up hill) when I spotted the Bull and I just said to hell with it rather than continue the hike. In other words, lazy.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 05-31-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
....... it means I have game within my effective range for the weapon I'm carrying, and I'm leveling a shot that I'm proficient enough to take.
Take it !!!

All others........................

" A man has to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-01-2015 at 10:41 AM.