Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lefty guns and good calibers >

Lefty guns and good calibers

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lefty guns and good calibers

Old 05-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

he asked if it was that much better, in the realm where it performs well it is, I say this because I have a lot of experience in that realm. if you have the accuracy and the knowledge to "go there" the 300 winny will trump the '06 every time. he didn't elaborate on should he or should he not try it, I was basing my opinion on the capabilities of the cartridge, not the shooter.
RR
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the capabilities of the cartridge, not the shooter.
RR
Most of us struggle with that......................

Someone said recently (Buff I think); bench shooting is to tell how good your rifle shoots, not how good you shoot !!!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
he asked if it was that much better, in the realm where it performs well it is, I say this because I have a lot of experience in that realm. if you have the accuracy and the knowledge to "go there" the 300 winny will trump the '06 every time. he didn't elaborate on should he or should he not try it, I was basing my opinion on the capabilities of the cartridge, not the shooter.
RR
Based on what he said in his OP "deer ranges 100-400 yards, Elk more around 200" is what I formed my opinion on. Both cartridge as well as shooters needs. Out to 400 yards, the .06 will kill a deer or an elk just as dead and just as fast. As I said before, the .300WM is a long range cartridge. It was what it was designed for. And as you yourself said, at the ranges he said he hunts at, it is in no way needed other than just to have. Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. I just answered his question based on the information he provided. If he doesn't reload and want's to send $2.50 (average price for quality ammo) a shot down range and be black and blue after about 5 shots then more power to him. And RR, don't try to tell us that you don't like that little puppy 6.5Creed more than than shoulder cracking 7mm Allen!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

Most of us know that the advantage of trajectory and power will always go to the case with the most capacity for powder. The advantage of the 300 WM vs. 30-06 at 400 yards would be trajectory of a few inches and a few hundred ft lbs of energy. Neither cartridge with a 200 yard zero would be aiming out of the body for hold on a deer. Neither cartridge is lacking ft lbs of energy to get the job done.

A bad angle or a bad hit neither cartridge has the advantage. It has always been from what I've seen in the field 500 yards is the playing field where all this really starts to matter. Time of flight matters. Trajectory matters. Bullet design matters. Optics matters. Getting a rest matters.

Remember this if your not aiming at hair your wrong. That simply means your target is far enough that you have come off the body at your point of aim and you better know your trajectory and distance your shooting at. When you blow a leg off an elk it don't matter how hard it got hit a three legged elk still can climb mountains faster and longer than you can. Tighten your laces up because your in for a hell of a day or days.

I say buy the 300 WM. If you can't shoot it as well as the 30-06 because of recoil find a way to tame it. This is the modern day they do make such things to stop that punishment. Put a bigger more aerodynamic bullet in it and take advantage of that case capacity. Or take the next step and buy a 300 RUM and I can't believe I just said that but if your going to take a plunge jump a little further. You will need a break for that one.

Large magnums don't like pencil barrels that well. Just sayin. But then again what do I know.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although the .300 WM will buy you a longer effective range (maybe 75 to 100 yards) I think it's biggest advantage comes by using heavier bullets. I never shoot bullets weighing less than 180 grains from my .300 WM and have had good results with 200 grain pills. When I use a .30-06 the heaviest bullet I shoot is a 180 but more often I use 150 or 165 grain bullets.

Both cartridges have advantages over the other but at the end of the day they are both .308" and for most practical hunting ranges both cartridges will do the job just fine.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I load up 220gr RN for Moose medicine Uncle. Good out to 200 yards with that pill out of my .06. Only reason I limit it to that range is that My Barrel really doesn't like it that well and the groups open up to 1 1/4" or so so I zero at 100. With the best load that my barrel wouldn't show pressure signs from I was only 1" low at 200. I could probably go out to 400 and find it trustworthy but with it grouping a little fishy I just don't have the faith in it. Not to mention it's a VERY rare thing I can't get closer than 200 anyway where I hunt. Hell Most shots are within 100.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hit a bull moose square in the brisket with my 30-06 using Sierra 180 gr Game King bullet at about 200 yards. He lurched backward and ambled off only about 50 yards and stood broadside where I then hit him twice more through both lungs and he fell in 20 yards.
Upon examining the first bullet path it hit hit just left of center, took out the left lung and lodged about midbody in the left backstrap. That bullet penetrated 24"-30" through some tough cartlidge and muscle.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is my assessment of the 300 winny, it is definitely a multi-purpose cartridge, an absolute hammer at close range on anything that eats grass, will take the big bears effectively with tough bullets.
Where it shines is with a big scope a long heavy barrel, and a big skinny bullet, put a 30" barrel on one, a repeatable scope, and a bullet with a BC approaching .7 and its a totally different beast.
RR
Old 05-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Where it shines is with a big scope a long heavy barrel, and a big skinny bullet......."

I always love it when someone speaks plain English.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ak473006
I currently own a left handed ruger m77 Hawkeye in 30-06 I am looking to buy a new rifle what caliber ? And what brand. Normally I hunt deer and elk the deer around 100-400 yard shots elk more around 200
I'd hunt 99% of the game in the entire world with that rig. Personally I wouldn't try and reinvent the wheel. But if you want a new rig, just about every major maker has left handed models in a number of calibers that will work. Check them all and see which one you like best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.