Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Buffalo classic >

H&R Buffalo classic

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Buffalo classic

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Spike

Default H&R Buffalo classic

Iam looking to get a H&R classic and was wondering if any of you have any experience with them
I have been shooting a Sharpes 45/70 that belongs to a friend and have been bitten by the long range rainbow accuracy of the 45/70 cartridge in particular the 300 grain hp I have had great luck out to 300 yds and am wondering if the H&R can match that and with practice well beyond.Also can the H&R be fitted with a tang sight as the Sharpes is so equiped Thanks in advance for any and all information
Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I looked at one once. I was thinking about getting it re-chambered to the 45-90 but went a different route on a different caliber. Don't know about the tang sight. I'm trying to remember how the grip was but it has been a long time since I held one but I think the opening button may make it hard. Might be able to mount something on the receiver but you may end up with a problem with the height of the front sight.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Marble Arms makes one but im not sure if its what you want
http://www.marblearms.com/improvedPeepTang_info.html
Manufacturer Model Sight Base # Screw Set # *Upright Selection
H&R Buffalo Classic 991001 995026 Short

Here is a better pic
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=161205

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-22-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a pair of Buffalo Classics for a time, wish I would have never sold them - back then they were easy to find, and under $300!!! I had the 45-70 and the 38-55. I put a Marble full buckhorn on the 45-70, plus a Marbles tang sight, then eventually a Smith ladder sight to use for SASS/CAS long range side matches.

They're pretty light if you put a lot of powder behind heavy bullets in the old 45-70 cartridge, so I'd recommend a good recoil pad - which kinda sucks, since the crescent butt is rather attractive to look at. They were accurate enough, mine was less picky about ammo than my Marlin 1895 Cowboy was, although not quite as accurate once I found the load that the 1895 liked. I suppose it's VERY fair to say that I didn't shoot the Buff Classic as well as I did the Marlin, since the handling of the single shot was very, very different. The Buffalo Classic was plenty accurate though, I did a bit of hunting with mine, just to say I did. Single shots just aren't for me, but I'd love to have another Buff Classic - just hard to find, and a lot more expensive than they used to be!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love single shots... just don't love getting beat up with a crescent butt plate. I'll stick with my mild mannered Dakota 10 chambered in "The Bob".
Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Spike

I also had a H&R buffalo classic in 45-70 which beat the tar out of me with that crescent buttplate, even using black-powder equivalent loads. I did like the looks, but the pain prohibited acceptable accuracy. Other single-shots (Browning, Ruger) were much easier to live with in this caliber.