Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My first Kydex holster >

My first Kydex holster

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My first Kydex holster

Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default My first Kydex holster

While I have made a lot of knife sheaths and handgun holsters they have all been made from leather. This will be my first attempt at making a Kydex holster. Im making this for my son. He bought a Sig Sauer 1911 and wanted Kydex rather than leather so it was time to learn how. Im using .090 thick Kydex.

Just like with leather you have to build up areas that will trap the firearm in the holster. Leather is forgiving and will let the handgun go But this .09 Kydex is pretty stiff and I doubt it would flex to let the firearm go so a dowel is taped along the entire length behind the front sight and other areas are built up such as the trigger guard.

Kydex is heated and then formed around the firearm using a press with foam so I had to build the press first.

Dry run before heating the Kydex.

I heated the Kydex in my shop oven to 350F.

I started with the face (outside) face first.

After 15 minutes of cooling time I separated the clamp to check out the results of my first form

Then I put the pistol and the first piece of Kydex back in the form and heated the other half to form it.

Then I clamped the halves together and ran them through the bandsaw to cut the top off.

Then I cut off the muzzle end.

Then I made the belt loops. The plan was Kydex loops held in place with binding post (Chicago) Screws. I'll wrap the Hot Kydex around pieces of wood.

It worked out pretty well.

Then I cut off the excess and drilled holes for the screws.

The binding post screws attach the belt loops and join the two halves of the holster together.

Then I cut and sanded the outer perimeter to shape then sanded and buffed the edge.

All finished. Not bad for my first attempt

This was fun. I can see a lot of applications for Kydex. I think I will make a holster for the extra magazine/clip for his gun.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 05-18-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely done Sir! Glad to see you posting up projects again.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exceptional work & pictures, as always !!!

Thanks for posting DIY !
Old 05-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

I got around to making a holster for the extra mag. I wrapped it with tape to make it a little bigger so it would not be too tight a fit. The rest of the pics are pretty much self explainitory.