Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Howa Alpine, Nosler, Forbes... >

Howa Alpine, Nosler, Forbes...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Howa Alpine, Nosler, Forbes...

Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Howa Alpine, Nosler, Forbes...

I'm going to probably sell my 22-243 and get a standard .243. I'm looking at the Howa Alpine, Nosler, Legendary Closer, maybe a Forbes or just building one on a Rem 700.

Has anyone held/shot any of the others? The Legendary isn't out yet but the others have been around a while now. The Howa with the Bansner stock looks like a winner.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeep fondled the Forbes Model 20 a few weeks ago, in my hands it felt nice but I don't know if its $1500 nice!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Have handled the forbes rifle, seems to be a lot of money. It has a ER shaw barrel. Haven't handled the how a alpine but have a how a 1500 2 vanguards and a Smith and Wesson 1500. I like them very much a nice strong action. Looked at the nosler 48 and again think it's a lot for what it is. The fit to finish on the forbes and nosler was nice, but will they out shoot a tuned rem 700 or a how a?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Montana Rifle Company.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeep,

With your friend about to start a custom gun shop, why not work with him on a new build ?

BTW - Nothing wrong with a .243 IMO !
Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sold my Forbes rifle last year. It was very well made and very light. If you are looking for a mountain rifle that you will carry long distance in rough country they are great. However, it was a little too light for me when it came to shooting in windy conditions, or when I was winded.

The real Forbes rifle (NULA) comes with a Douglas barrel and will shoot very well from the bench. The TMP version looks similar, and has the same stock, but it has an ER Shaw tube screwed into it and I have not heard any claims of spectacular accuracy. I am sure the TMP version is a nice enough rifle, and it is less than one half the cost of a Forbes 20 or 24.

I have never shot any of the others mentioned.

You can build a pretty nice rifle with a 700 action and a custom barrel and stock for a reasonable price.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Jeep,

With your friend about to start a custom gun shop, why not work with him on a new build ?

BTW - Nothing wrong with a .243 IMO !
That's what I'll probably end up doing.

The others just look pretty darn nice and I kinda want to try one out just to try one out. Especially the Legendary rifle.

I know what one will be like if we build it.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who Makes the barrel for the Legendary rifle? It is an interesting $1,500 rifle. I would like to take a close look at their 704 action and see how it works.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Who Makes the barrel for the Legendary rifle? It is an interesting $1,500 rifle. I would like to take a close look at their 704 action and see how it works.
They aren't saying, I'm guessing Wilson or something like that. I saw one guy order one and got it for $1300. Couple hundred less then online MSRP.

The action is an Ed Brown action, I would think it's about as good as it gets.