Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sako 85 Ejection issues >

Sako 85 Ejection issues

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako 85 Ejection issues

Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default Sako 85 Ejection issues

I recently bought a Sako 85 Finnlight rifle that had an issue that I'd like your opinions on.

I was in a gun shop looking for an all weather (synthetic/stainless) bolt action rifle in 30-06, when I stumbled upon the Sako 85 Finnlight. Frankly it was just above my price range, but I looked at it anyway. Once I had my hands on it, I had to have it, so I forked over the extra money for it. I had my Leupold scope VX-III mounted on it and left the store. When I got home I went right outside and tried it out. I took my first shot (was impressed) and then went to jack another round into it. Unfortunately the old round didn't eject from the rifle, so I removed it my self. I figured I went too slow or did something else wrong. So I loaded another and fired another round, only this time I made sure I jacked the rifle properly and again, it did not eject. The rounds seem to go straight up and hit the scope, instead of towards the right and out. It also put a big dent in the end of the shell where it hit the scope. I fired a number of rounds and none ejected properly.

So I went on the web and surfed for "Sake 85 ejection problems". I was amazed that this does not seem an isolated problem. So I took the gun back to the store (along with the dented shells) and got a full refund. They offered to have it repaired, but I didn't think that a rifle that expensive should have this kind of issue. Now I'm wondering If I was a tad too hasty.... Has anyone seen this issue? If so, is it repairable or is it a design flaw?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've read a lot about the newer long action ones built in the last 5 years or so having that ejection problem. It seems to have started after Beretta bought them out and supposedly modified the previous ejector/bolt configuration to a partial controlled round feed and the full rounds or empty cases eject straight up in a certain percentage of them and hit the scope instead of at the desired angle to clear everything. A lot of guys that have bought them have either gone to higher bases/rings and moved their scopes around until they eject, while others have taken them back and had their money refunded because Beretta is aware of the problem and really hasn't offered a fix other than what I just mentioned guys are doing. Beretta should have left things alone, as the old Sakos are a beautiful rifle with great out of the box accuracy. I have a .243 Forester that is a tack driver and a 30-06 Finnbear and I'd never get rid of either of them.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-10-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Spike

In my case, the shell casing was ejecting almost straight up, so I don't know if raising the scope would fix the issue. Heck, I'd have to almost side mount the scope, like I've seen on some old level action rifles!

After making my original post I did a search on Berretta's web page and found the following:

XXXXXXXXXX

Sako-Tikka Ejection Issues
Answer ID 997 | Published 09/05/2014 04:25 PM | Updated 09/05/2014 04:25 PM
I purchased a Sako 85 rifle and mounted a scope on it. I'm having issues with spent brass striking the scope. What can I do to resolve this issue?

Occasionally, we receive customer complaints regarding Sako rifles ejecting spent cases that either strike the scope or strike the scope turret and fall back inside the action of the rifle. This situation is predominately caused by both the scope mounts and type of scope (particularly scopes with extended turrets) installed on the rifle. A secondary consideration is how rigorously the bolt is operated by the user.

Beretta will not consider rifles that exhibit the condition above to be a warranty issue. Provided that the rifle fully extracts and ejects the spent casing, the rifle will be considered functional and serviceable. Sako Arms cannot anticipate every possible scope mounting configuration when designing their rifles. Since the selection and installation of the scope and mounts are determined by the owner, it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the system will not interfere with the operation of the rifle.

An extremely small number of rifles have been returned for service for this issue and our analysis has indicated that the combination of scope mounts, scope type and scope turret location in relation to the ejection path of the spent casing have been the proximate cause creating this condition. In order to alleviate this condition, we recommend that the owner try various scope mounting options to find the one that works best.

XXXXXXX

Frankly I was shocked when I read this, so much for Beretta's customer service! My rifle would expel the spent casing without the scope on, so I guess mine would not have been considered a warranty issue.....I'm glad that I returned the rifle.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pizz poor is more than what I would describe that lame attempt to pass the known problem caused by their manufacturing process on for the customer to rectify that way. Yep, just mount the scope 6 inches or more above the magazine and you'll find the ejector works fine is about what they are saying or maybe not use a scope. That would be rather difficult when the rifle is manufactured without open sights, LOL! Shame on them!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 85 ejection issues are well documented and on-going. I guess I was lucky as my 7mm-08 Finnlight was ok. It apparently begins with a design issue. Remedies have included extra high rings to allow more clearance (stupid), rotating scopes 90 degrees so that the windage knob is not "in the line on ejection" (another stupid fix) or possibly changing out springs. In any event, when a person shells out good money for an inferior product it tends to upset folks (no kidding). I sold mine eventually as I became addicted to SS rifles and found one I wanted more than the Sako. Twas a pity though... I still have a Sako 75 that has been stellar and without issue. The 85's are the problem ones. I'd say you did the right thing by selling. Beretta doesn't seem to care much. Their CS sucks. Save a little and get a Cooper. LOL. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Have and H&R model 300 in 30/06 that is a sako L61 action and barrel. It is a fine smooth action and have had no problems with it ejecting. My father's step grandfather had and older sako in 7mm rem and he never had a problem with it. I would love to find and older sako in 222. Know a couple of people that have them and they are sweet. Haven't looked t a new model 85 but the model 75 seem to have a good action on them.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the older Sako, but would not buy a new one at all. I will stick with my Weatherby rifles. At least they stand behind their products, no matter what the age. Any problem has been repaired for free even on the ones that were purchased 30 years ago. Same can be said for Ruger. All that it takes is a phone call, and the parts are in the mail.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sako 85

Unbelievable! Spend over 1K on a rifle that has a design flaw like that. I wonder how Beretta feels knowing you can buy a multitude of rifles for less than $500 that will eject cases every time regardless of the scope and mounts. I applaud Beretta for ruining a great product line.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Spike

Actually a new the Sako 85 Finnlight rifle sells for a tad more that $1000. I don't know what the list price is but, I've seen it selling for as much as $1650 and $1,699.99. So not a cheap gun! This makes Barretta's stance all the more shocking. I googled "Sako 85 Ejector problems and I got 21,100 hits, so mine was not an isolated problem.

Frankly I'm still stunned....The sad part is that I traded in my old rifle to defray some of the cost and now I'm looking for another rifle. Thankfully hunting season is long ways off. I'm considering the X-Bolt Stainless Stalker or Ruger All Weather Hawkeye.....Any suggestions??
Old 03-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Besides looking at those two, take a look at the new Model 70s!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.