Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.338 federal AR >

.338 federal AR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.338 federal AR

Old 03-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you have the 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR-10, then you won't really be benefitted to do a 7mm-08 or a 243win. The 338Fed makes logical sense for "something different".

Are 200grn pills advantageous for whitetails? Nope. Do they work just fine? Yup. The only real consequence is recoil, for which a heavy AR-10 in any 308 based case is not really too extreme.

In your shoes, I would do what makes the most logical sense, with a secondary influence of what makes most financial sense. As a matter of speaking, that is to say this: I would buy as many lowers as you need, or you can afford. I have several AR's, but if I look at things objectively from a "how many lowers do I need" standpoint, I only really can justify 4 lowers - a benchrest lower and a telescoping carbine lower for me, and the same for my wife. If you only hunt with your AR-10, and you only hunt/shoot alone or with someone that will have their own rifle, then you only really need one lower. Alternatively, if spending a little extra cash on things you don't really need doesn't hurt your feelings, then it doesn't really hurt to have an extra lower that you just "want" but don't really "need".

Right now I have several AR-15 builds in line at my bench, one of which will be my own. It will be one lower with 3 uppers. I also have different bolt action rifles that accept different barrels (takes FAR longer to change than an AR!!), and a Contender with different barrels. Many people want complete rifles, some people are OK with sharing parts.

One other advantage, beyond simple cost savings, of having only one lower is that you get better familiarized with the trigger and stock fit.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy pretty much nailed it, I didn't catch in your post that your 6.5 was in AR base. I like the 7-08 a little better than the 6.5 for a number of reasons but really, all in all they will perform on whitetail pretty much the same. The 7-08 has just a tad more impact but not enough really to go out and get a whole new upper for drives. Granted since it has a heavy barrel it's not really well suited for drives unless you practice offhand shooting with it. Some people, me included, like a heavier rifle for offhand. I tend to steady up just a bit quicker and settle into the target.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Ok I'll try to post this again, I have a 338 fed. It's a sako 85 ss. I think the 160 barnes loaded per barnes data at 2900 fps is the perfect white tail deer, black bear, and caribou round. It hits hard and does a very good job on game. The 200's although not really hard on the shoulder lets you know you have pulled the trigger, I find the 160s very pleasant to shoot