Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The 30-06

Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was a kid every family had at least two guns.

One was a shotgun and the other one was a rifle.

The rifle was either a .30-30 or a .30-06.

If you could only own one rifle the .30-06 would be a great choice; in particular with modern ammunition.

“Beware the man who owns only one gun; he probably knows how to use it.”
Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Even 5 or six years ago most people I know their main deer gun was a 30/06 or 270. Know a lot of them are going to short action calibers around the 308 family. Also with the advancement of the so called budget rifle even the average man can afford more then one rifle of quality. My father's main rifle for 30+ years was a remington 700 bdl in 30/06 he got new in 1970.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redgreen
Because it works, and every outlet that sells ammunition has it in stock at all times.
Yes, This!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of good responses here. I've got a .30-06 because my grandpa gave me one when I was 12, that's where it started for me. I've killed around 20 deer with it since then at ranges from about 15 yards to just under 400. I've shot paper out to 500 and currently do not plan on taking that particular rifle any farther, although it is certainly capable of it. I don't have the numbers that many here can claim, but I've killed deer with I *believe* 8 different cartridges. All those deer are equally dead. But when I get really serious about getting a deer on the ground, I always seem to grab the '06....it just seems like the right thing to do. As others have said.... If you could only have one rifle.... you wouldn't go wrong picking the .30-06.
-Jake
Old 02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Spike

Every hunter I know always believes he has the best cartridge. Its like saying I am looking for a good hunting knife, or a nice bolt action..
Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

the one response I didn't see about the 06 is the wide range of bullets available for the 06. it can be loaded from 110 grain bullets all the way up to 220 grain. this gives it the capability to be used to hunt just about anything. if you reload this opens up all possibilities for the 06. wouldn't recommend the 06 for dangerous game unless you are really good. that why the magnums are made.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Very simple it works.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Spike

Thumbs up 30-06 on African Game

I am from Africa and I have used a 30-06 since the day I started hunting. This calibre happens to be the most popular calibre in South Africa as according to the amount of ammo sold by SA company PMP. I am now a Hunting Outfitter running Clarke Safaris. Having hunted a wide variety of African Game(including Eland) with this calibre using 180Gr bullets, it has always performed exceptionally well. Not too fast, not too slow, it is consistently more than capable of killing game out to 300 Yards. I will always be a loyal fan of this fine calibre that has stood the test of time.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AndyC500
I am from Africa and I have used a 30-06 since the day I started hunting. This calibre happens to be the most popular calibre in South Africa as according to the amount of ammo sold by SA company PMP. I am now a Hunting Outfitter running Clarke Safaris. Having hunted a wide variety of African Game(including Eland) with this calibre using 180Gr bullets, it has always performed exceptionally well. Not too fast, not too slow, it is consistently more than capable of killing game out to 300 Yards. I will always be a loyal fan of this fine calibre that has stood the test of time.
Welcome to this forum Andy. What 180 grain bullet do you like for eland at ranges of 200m or closer (assuming proper shot placement)?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AndyC500
Welcome and nice to see a PH that knows the capabilities of the 06 with the proper ammo in the right hands!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.