Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
new to hunting need a rifle suggestion. >

new to hunting need a rifle suggestion.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new to hunting need a rifle suggestion.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might find some of this information helpful also..............................

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/rifle.html
Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Spike

Thanks gentlemen the wealth of knowledge and advice I've gotten from y'all and this sight has been awesome. I've looked into all of your suggestions. And you've all made excellent points. My father also suggested savage rifles (we are starting hunting together.) and the tips for scopes has been awesome. Leupold is actually located about an hour away from me. So me and my dad were going to check them out. When I got back at the end of the month. I have started looking into other rounds like the 30-06. Which I have found is also pretty easy to find like the .308. Now I just gotta find a rifle that speaks to me so to speak lol.

Now a question about ammo. Is there a brand or brands for ammo that are preferable. I know each firearm is typically different, one brand may work great for this weapon but cause jams in another. Which ones should I stay away from.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once you pick your round/cartridge and buy your new rifle I'd try at least 3 different big name ammo producers and buy their very affordable boxes. I'd try Remington cor-lokt, and Hornady Whitetail lines (to name only 2). If they shoot well in your rifle you are ahead of the game with easily obtainable and inexpensive ammo.

Be prepared to try at least 4 types to find what your rifle likes, and you may find the best stuff on your 6th or 7th box. Sounds like expensive trials, but hey, ... shooting is fun!

Good luck. BTW, either the 30/06 or 308 will serve your purposes. And, just for fun, so are about 10 other cartridges... your choice.

FWIW ... the 30/06 would be hard to beat for availability of guns, ammo, and components.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Spike

I don't mind shooting that many times. I love the range. Lol I'm like a little kid begging for 5 more minutes most of the time lol
Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Rifles may "like" or shoot some weights or brands of bullets better than others.

I shoot and hunt with a variety of rifles, and I only shoot handloads. I have had good results with bullets from Barnes, Nosler, Sierra, and Hornady. Some bullet manufacturers will show a small icon (coyote, deer, elk, target) on their loaded cartridge box for the recommended use of that bullet. You want to match your bullets to the game that you are hunting...you don't want to hunt elk with varmint bullets.

In .30 caliber, I generally liked 150 grain bullets for deer and 180 grain bullets for elk. A bullet recommended for elk will easily kill a deer, however a smaller, lighter bullet recommended for deer may not cleanly kill an elk.

Bullet placement is more important than bullet diameter, weight, or type. Shooting proficiency increases with range time. Shooting off a bench will show you how accurate your bullets and rifle are. Shooting from field positions will show you how accurate you are.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Spike

Default River American 30-06

River American 30-06 with a Burris Fullfield scope
Hornady Whitetail 150 gr
This gets you in the woods for under $600.00 and will kill anything in the US
Accurate
Great trigger
Deadly
Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
Shooting off a bench will show you how accurate your bullets and rifle are. Shooting from field positions will show you how accurate you are.
Buff,

I am going to steal that one from you, but I will accredit you every time I use it !
Old 05-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calico--If I was looking for a good rifle I would check out the Marlin X7's. My son bought one last year in stainless for something over $300. He now has two, one in 30-06 and another in 25-06. They seem to be good bolt actions. A year or two ago one of the outdoor mags tested several makes for accuracy, the X7 beat the others by a good margin. Of course, that could have just been that particular rifle. I don't like the looks of a stainless rifle but that is what I would get. I also would go for a plastic stock or something that moisture can not enter. Leupold makes a great scope, I also like Redfield for the same warranty.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ya by all means get the Tupper wear stock. That big buck grandpa didn't get was due to moisture in the stock and powder.

Wood stocks have been used for century's, so the moisture thing is a load of it. Good walnut sealed is as good as plastic any day.

Al
Old 05-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

And a whole lot purtier as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.