Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ER Shaw MarkVII? >

ER Shaw MarkVII?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ER Shaw MarkVII?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ER Shaw MarkVII?

Any one have any experience with one of these. They sound pretty good. for the price they sound really good. The one I want is $1050 but it is a 1 year wait, don't know about that.
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/sps-the-mk-VII-rifle.php
Old 01-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Built on a Savage action right? You could spend another 200 and get a Nosler rifle.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really? I will have to check those out. Yeah it is basically the Savage action built to ER Shaw specs. They also have the Mark X which is supposed to be their own action, looks kinda like the Savage action but is supposed to have the best features of Savage, Sako, Remington, Winchester, and Ruger. Looks like a Savage action with machiened scope bases built into the action to me.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Built on a Savage action right? You could spend another 200 and get a Nosler rifle.

For "X" amount of money it is almost the only way to fly..................the 26 Nosler !

How much ammo do you think you will use in your lifetime while hunting ?

Now they have a 7MM - what do you think Ridge ?

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-23-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to the build your own gun and picked the polished stainless action and barrel, with a 24" sporter contour, helical fluted, chambered in a 280 Rem. with the walnut stock. this is the letter I got back and the price and time quote.

Good morning

Thanks for asking about one of the ER Shaw MK VII rifles. Based on the options you have chosen the cost of this particular MK VII rifle is $1050.00 plus $37.00 for ups to an FFL dealer of choice in your home area. This is for a right hand version. The average turnaround time on a MK VII rifle build is in the 12 month area. A deposit of 50% is required to submit the order for manufacturing. You can phone an order in and use a MC or Visa or mail the order in with the build specification, contact and billing info. We will mail a confirmation of the rifle specifications to you along with contact info once the order is submitted. There will be a service number on your build form, you can use this service number to call and check status of the order as time goes on. The 12 month turnaround time is an average only and can vary. You can call us at 412-221-3636 Monday thru Friday from 8:00am until 4:30pm eastern standard time to place an order by phone, and our mailing address is ER Shaw Barrels, 5312 Thoms Run Rd. Bridgeville, Pa. 15017 if you would rather mail the order in with a deposit and contact info.

Thanks for asking

Keith Morgan

It sounds great other than the 12 month wait. That would put it here after next hunting season. But it does sound like a good gun for the price.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shaw makes good barrels, mostly similar to factory tubes. They are not quite the quality of the better barrel makers. Nice people to deal with and their barrels are priced well to fill a needed slot in the market. Good "hunting quality" barrels at a good price.

I somehow doubt that a Savage action matched with a Shaw barrel would be better than just a plain Savage barreled action. However, the total price of their custom rifles looks good as it falls somewhere just above most standard factory rifles but well below most custom rigs.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Was getting price from a smith for my first custom built have a rem adl magnum action was thinking 26 nosler now.May think 28. Will be awhile to I get every thing started so have time to think. Was looking at er Shaw barrel blanks but think if I going for it might aswhale go lilja blank. The Forbes rifle uses ER shaw barrels.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fritz1
Really? I will have to check those out. Yeah it is basically the Savage action built to ER Shaw specs. They also have the Mark X which is supposed to be their own action, looks kinda like the Savage action but is supposed to have the best features of Savage, Sako, Remington, Winchester, and Ruger. Looks like a Savage action with machiened scope bases built into the action to me.
I'll have to check out their action, I haven't heard of it before now. The rifle you got quoted seems like a pretty good price.

12 months is too long to wait though.

I just looked thru their website and can't find their action anywhere?? Post a link if you can.

Last edited by jeepkid; 01-24-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
For "X" amount of money it is almost the only way to fly..................the 26 Nosler !

The 26 Nosler sucks. My buddy burnt out a tube in 80 rounds and didn't run it hard at all.

Now the 28 on the other hand, he built one last month before Nosler released it and it's a winner. Is very close to my RUM in speed but is 1/4" shorter so fits into a mag well easily with long boolits

I'm actually selling my RUM to build a 28 on a Defiance action.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

I would say the 26 being 93 gr capacity in just a regular rifle would be just like the hammer of thor, but if your only gonna use it for 450-500 yard shooting..why? it would make an awesome long range rig but by the time you have all your loadwork done, data collected you'll use 30-40% of your barrel life.
If you have experience getting your data down and can do it with less than 100 rounds you'll have 500 rounds useable hunting life left before setback.
the 28 would fare a bit better, more good bullet selection and most probably a useable life of around 800 rounds, not sure its any better than the 7mm practical (7mm/300 winny)
after 575 rounds my 7mm AM is showing signs of erosion, am starting to chase the lands at warp speed.
for a start up long range rig, I think they are both a bit too much of a good thing, nothing worse than burning up a barrel perfecting the method, get the method down, then buy the intercontinental ballistic missile launcher. just my thoughts, worth what they cost ya....hmm, maybe
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.