Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Turkey Load Recommendations >

Turkey Load Recommendations

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Turkey Load Recommendations

Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Load Recommendations

Hey all you fellow turkey hunting mates,
Was wondering if you could give your best recommendations on a good Lead Turkey Load, looking for a good Load #5 or #6 under 15 $, and what Load would work well with a Mossy 500 20ga with a carlson's .575" win turkey choke.

Thanks for all the advice in advance.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've had good luck with my Rem 870 20 ga using either Federal Premium 3" or Winchester Super X 3" both with #5 shot. Both of these give me a nice tight pattern to 40 yds but I limit my shots to 30 just to be on the safe side.
But neither of these may be your best choice. You really should try several different shells to see what patterns best with your particular gun/choke.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I run 12ga Benelli Supernova's, and both my wifes and my own "turkey Nova's" run 0.660" and 0.665" Primos TiteWad and Tru-Glo Gobble Stopper chokes with Winchester Supreme 3" #5's. Based on patterns, those combinations COULD be a 50-55yrd killers, 60yrds if I was more generous, because the pattern density gives it a very good shot count on turkey head and spine sized test targets, but I've never shot past 40yrds with it (wanna say 37 is our long ball right now).

I suppose that doesn't help much, since you're talking 20ga, but unfortunately, I don't turkey hunt 20ga's.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

I've been shooting the "heavier than lead" loads since the late 90s but they are thru my 3" & 3.5" 12ga.s with assorted tubes. I'd recommend you look at a 3" #6 hevi-shot type of load for max performance BUT you have to be careful with over choking hard shot loads! (Test test test!)

Lead wise, a good, copperplated #5 is as good as I've found "across the board" in most guns with lead! A properly dialed in 20ga (ESPECIALLY with today's loads & tubes) is more than enough for any Tom inside 50yds!

Did I mention? TEST TEST TEST!

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=20787

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 01-21-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto Hatchielover. For reasonably priced, try a copper plated lead turkey load ... any brand. Which ever patterns the best ... use that one. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Ditto Hatchielover. For reasonably priced, try a copper plated lead turkey load ... any brand. Which ever patterns the best ... use that one. Good luck.

+1

Call them in close and shoot them in the head.

You guyz have to be tired of hearing me say that.......LOL