Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Erics new coyote rifle. >

Erics new coyote rifle.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Erics new coyote rifle.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I can't see why he would want to do that as he bought a very good barrel for this project after doing research. It is working fine for him and is still spot on when we go after coyotes.

Al
cause at 500 rounds his barrel is over 1/2 gone, maybe way over
RR
Old 01-31-2015, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

One post you say the barrel is shot out at 500 rounds and in the last you say it is only half gone in 500 rounds.

Which is it?

I my self think he has noting to worry about till the accuracy starts to fall off. I think he can expect a long barrel life since he doesn't normally run a clip worth of ammo thru it in five trigger squeezes as fast as he can. Is also on the cold side when we are hunting coyotes so once fired it cools off rather quick.

Al
Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
One post you say the barrel is shot out at 500 rounds and in the last you say it is only half gone in 500 rounds.

Which is it?

I my self think he has noting to worry about till the accuracy starts to fall off. I think he can expect a long barrel life since he doesn't normally run a clip worth of ammo thru it in five trigger squeezes as fast as he can. Is also on the cold side when we are hunting coyotes so once fired it cools off rather quick.

Al
not shooting them hot helps, but when you burn upwards of 50 gr charges in a .224 diameter its like a blowtorch going through the throat every shot. nothing you can do to stop it except not shoot it
RR
Old 02-01-2015, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You cane up at the sportsman club yesterday. A couple of guys seemed to know you. Said you were a ex navy seal amour guy but had never in your life owned a wild cat rifle.

Al
Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

wrong and wrong again, have never been in the service (though my dad was career navy) and started messing with wildcats around 1980 or so have been wildcatting ever since, today I currently have 20 tactical, 6mm PPC, 6.5 Gibbs, 7mm JDJ, 7mm Allen Magnum, 375 JDJ, also have a 7mm STW and 458 socom, these two are no longer wildcats but they were when I acquired them. so believe whatever you wish
RR
Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Spike

IMO, if it's stamped 22 CHeetah, that's what it is regardless the brass. The 308BR brass has been out of production for some time and I don't foresee it returning. If he really has to have some PM me, but I think the stuff is over rated. He isn't loosing anything by necking down regular 243, except passing the brass through an additional forming die. Lapua offer a SR in their 308 palma. If I were to go SR and new brass, that's what I'd be looking at over virgin BR brass. Last time I found some virgin BR brass was $1.00/ea, I'd rather Lapua at that price.

If he's shooting 75's he probably has a 1-8 twist or better. I envy that. Mine's a 1-16 and I'd love to replace it but the thing shoot's 52 gr Bergers quite well.

My name is Eric too, not that it matters, although my CHeetah is on a pre-64 Model 70. I really think one on a AR10 would be unique.

It's a cool round. I've got a copy of Charmichel's book and the original Outdoor life article. Personally I've had the most success with IMR4064.

Last edited by minengr; 02-12-2015 at 07:33 PM.