Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun

Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Gun

I am buying a new h&r ultra slug hunter 20 gauge. I will be mounting a scope on it, but I am a total newbie when it comes to scopes. Altho I did have one on my muzzleloader for a while. How do I decide what rings and bases to get? I would lie to get a straight 4X Scope. Any suggestions on scopes?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have said it before but a simmons 4x32 pro diamond is a perfect scope for this application. At least the older ones are. They hold there zero and have plenty of eye relief for the hard kicking slug guns.And are very affordable. My wife's slug gun has this scope with weaver base and rings. Has held its 100 yard zero for many many years.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I am looking at getting the same gun for my fiance for next year. i was looking at a Burris Timberline 3-9X.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bases are specific to the gun. Likely, in your case, a Weaver style slotted base would be the ticket. The rings depend on the selected scope tube diameter (1" or 30mm usually) and the OD size of the objective "bell". You need clearance so that the mounted scope does not touch the barrel. A typical 3-9 x 40 scope uses medium height rings in most cases. Smaller scopes can us low rings and larger scopes may need high rings. Lots of variations possible. Obviously, the rings need to fit the base... some are generic, some specific. For example, Talley rings fit Talley bases. Warne makes some sturdy rings that fit their bases and Weaver style slotted bases. Leupold, Burris, Weaver, etc. would likely have something to fit whatever base you select. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Spike

Make things easy on yourself and buy from a gun shop or major sporting goods store where they will mount the scope for you. They should know what rings will and wont work. I have had my best luck with Nikon scopes. Just don't buy a cheap one, but you don't have to spend a fortune either.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Buckmaster507
Make things easy on yourself and buy from a gun shop or major sporting goods store where they will mount the scope for you. They should know what rings will and wont work. I have had my best luck with Nikon scopes. Just don't buy a cheap one, but you don't have to spend a fortune either.
+1

Sounds like good advise for someone who isn't an expert on the subject...............

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-17-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put that 3-9x from Leupold made specifically to match slugs out to 250yds or whatever.

I think deadnutz makes a 1 piece base/rings that I wish I put on instead of what I did. Perhaps one day I'll upgrade, but why fix what isn't broken?