Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement >

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Remington has finally agreed to replace triggers in millions of rifles with the possibly defective Walker "Fire Control" trigger that has been involved in thousands of misfires since the late 40s, some of which resulted in injuries and over 20 deaths, if a Judge approves the settlement. I'd strongly suggest that anyone that owns one of them immediately put an aftermarket trigger like a Timney, Jewel, or Rifle Basix in theirs because it will take years for Remington to fix that many rifles if the settlement is approved by the presiding Federal Judge.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-11-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Clarafication on Court Case & Removed Nonworking Link
Old 12-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

It's really about time. People argue with you when you say you have seen these rifles misfire first hand, but I have seen it multiple times and it is a lliability for Remington. Could cause serious injuries.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackelk
It's really about time. People argue with you when you say you have seen these rifles misfire first hand, but I have seen it multiple times and it is a lliability for Remington. Could cause serious injuries.
Yep, and I'm sure this thread will get some Remington lovers that will come on and say "well I have had one for (plug in years here) and I've never had a problem, so it's all media hype". If people would just do a search and read up on the problem that is definitely causing misfires, they would just keep quiet and get their rifle fixed. Mike Walker, the inventor himself, stated the trigger is prone to misfire and wanted it fixed after they first started producing them back in the late 40s. The people finally won out and if even 25% of the 7.85 million on recall are returned I can see no way Remington can do the fix themselves and get the rifle back to the owner in a reasonable amount of time. I'd just bite the bullet and put an aftermarket trigger in and be done with it at my own expense if I had one.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Spike

Has Remington said anything about how they are going to handle this recall? I think it would be almost impossible to fix that many guns without hiring outside gunsmiths to help. UPS would almost have to set up a separate hub just to handle all of those guns. I inherited my dad's 700 when he died and love it. Have probably run over 1,000 rounds through it without a problem. But not sure I want to risk a problem down the road.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bet only about a million will even get sent in, at most. How many just sit in safes collecting dust? How many have already been fixed?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love Rem 700's. But I'm not gonna say there isn't an issue, obviously there is on some (very few obviously). Glad they finally decided to just take care of it.

I have two. Never had an issue. One I've used for 28yrs. Doesn't mean I won't get the trigger replaced if they come up with a reasonable process... but I ain't shipping my guns to them. I think it would be much easier to take it to a local smith, and have them contact Remington and get approval to do the job and get paid. Will be interesting to see how they plan to handle it.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got 4 Rem 700s right now and have used them since I was 13 years old. My late father and brother have both always used the Rem 700. I have a cousin and his son that also use them. None of us have ever had an issue with them. I'm not saying the issue doesn't exist but none of us have had an accidental discharge.

I doubt if I'll bother sending mine in. They work just fine and I see no benefit to changing what works. Besides, you can't accidentally shoot someone if you don't point the muzzle at them in the first place. First rule of firearm safety is to never point the firearm at something you don't want to shoot.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe this will help some internet Remington bashers to find another hobby.

It is a terrible shame that that boy was killed. It is also a shame that his mother did not practice gun safety.

The anti-gunners must love a story like this.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wondered how many people would interject exactly what I stated and I see it has started while I was out raking leaves! Guys, the fact is that the inventor himself said the trigger was defective as soon as they started production in the late 40s, wanted to make changes, and Remington did nothing but deny the problem existed for over 6 decades! Those of you who talk about safe handling are only half right on this issue because if the gun goes off like they are when you don't have your finger anywhere near the trigger a ricochet with the gun pointed away from people can still injure or kill someone! It doesn't matter how many rounds have been through them for them all of a sudden to misfire and it has happened in the five figures. You don't hear about those, other than people coming on forums saying it happened to them and I've read that countless times in the last 4 or 5 years. The guy (Barber) that pushed the issue and finally got this recall under a class action lawsuit with others had his son killed and the rifle wasn't pointed at the boy when it misfired while his Mom was unloading it. The boy was on the far side of their empty stock trailer out of sight and the bullet went through the trailer and killed him. How many times have people unloaded a gun like that when they get back to a vehicle after a hunt? Lots I'd bet. One guy on another website said it happened to him and when it did he killed a big ram it was pointed at. Unfortunately, it was his new Dodge truck!!! All of these rifles should be fixed whether Remington does it, the owner if they are capable of putting an aftermarket trigger in it, or by a reputable gunsmith. I have no idea how many people will get them repaired, but if even one million do I would think independent gunsmiths will have to be involved to get them done in a timely manner.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back when Remington was made aware of this problem by Walker himself (in 1946) it would have cost 5 1/2 cents per rifle to fix the problem. Now I think they estimate some in the ballpark of 29 million. Heres another link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/massiv...211600967.html

Last edited by jerry d; 12-06-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.