Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement >

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It appears that NBC has blocked the interview: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100588488
Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool gun RR! When's the last time that was shot or do you know?
I always wonder when I see a gun like that... where all its been over the years. Would be so cool to see all its seen.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
It appears that NBC has blocked the interview: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100588488
Yep, they sure have, but if you read the narrative that went with the video it pretty well says what he mentioned in the interview. I watched it some time ago when it was easy to pull up on the net. In the printed version of your link they also talk about his early memo (that was photocopied in an article and I can't find it now) to the Remington brass telling them it needed to be changed and why.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Cool gun RR! When's the last time that was shot or do you know?
I always wonder when I see a gun like that... where all its been over the years. Would be so cool to see all its seen.
I killed a deer with it around 1993, took a lil work to get it back shooting, the breach was so full of powder that it took a hammer and chisel to get out, had to make a nipple for it due to kids snapping it too much, granddad died in 1950 and was sick for a couple year prior and he didn't hunt much then.
RR
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I killed a deer with it around 1993, took a lil work to get it back shooting, the breach was so full of powder that it took a hammer and chisel to get out, had to make a nipple for it due to kids snapping it too much, granddad died in 1950 and was sick for a couple year prior and he didn't hunt much then.
RR
Thats awesome man. Good stuff.

You muzzleloading this week? I am Fri/Sat.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

So I can understand the hesitation of a lot of folks to have their Walker trigger rifles "fixed," because they may very well end up with something that's no more safe than the devil they know...
Yep - Ain't nobody touching the triggers on these 2:

Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Accuracy has nothing to do with this thread where we're talking strictly about the safety issue of the device. Put a Jewell or Timney in yours and they may even do better and not hit a target you don't want to hit PS: You missed the ten ring every time
Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Accuracy has nothing to do with this thread where we're talking strictly about the safety issue of the device. Put a Jewell or Timney in yours and they may even do better and not hit a target you don't want to hit PS: You missed the ten ring every time
Top, to me, the 1st ingredient of accuracy IS the trigger.

This "target" was also shot at 200 yds after a small scope adjustment:

But I'll try to do better next time.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RaySendero
Top, to me, the 1st ingredient of accuracy IS the trigger.

This "target" was also shot at 200 yds after a small scope adjustment:

But I'll try to do better next time.
Again, accuracy of the rifles in question has nothing to do with the problem that led to the settlement of this class action lawsuit! I would hope anyone that does much shooting or hunting would know that the trigger is one of the key components to shooting good groups with any firearm! If you have a heavy pull, creep, etc. it would be almost impossible to shoot accurately like your pictures show. When I put a Timney in my 03A3 sporterized 30-06 the groups went from 1 1/2 MOA to under 1/2 MOA just by eliminating the heavy pull of the factory trigger the military had in it. There is also no question that if the Walker trigger is working properly along with everything else needed to shoot good groups that you can do what you are showing in your pictures. However, due to it's design if that one-of-a-kind fire control connector in it doesn't come back into place the inventor himself found out that misfires can happen. The scary part is that it happens at random and can't be replicated. That's why the inventor asked the company to add a safety feature shortly after it went into production in the late 40s and they finally went with the X Mark Pro trigger in 2006 that is presently under a recall for problems people also have been encountering with it. The ironic thing is that in this settlement Remington has agreed to replace millions of the Walker triggers if people come forward that have them and join that settlement with the X Mark Pro! I just want all those who have Remingtons to know that they need to have their rifles looked at, cleaned properly, etc., or preferably replace the trigger with a Jewell, Timney, or other trigger of their choosing. That, however, still doesn't eliminate the fact that people need to properly clean any firearm to keep it in proper operating condition. Happy Holidays to you!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-12-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I wondered how many people would interject exactly what I stated and I see it has started while I was out raking leaves! Guys, the fact is that the inventor himself said the trigger was defective as soon as they started production in the late 40s, wanted to make changes, and Remington did nothing but deny the problem existed for over 6 decades! Those of you who talk about safe handling are only half right on this issue because if the gun goes off like they are when you don't have your finger anywhere near the trigger a ricochet with the gun pointed away from people can still injure or kill someone! It doesn't matter how many rounds have been through them for them all of a sudden to misfire and it has happened in the five figures. You don't hear about those, other than people coming on forums saying it happened to them and I've read that countless times in the last 4 or 5 years. The guy (Barber) that pushed the issue and finally got this recall under a class action lawsuit with others had his son killed and the rifle wasn't pointed at the boy when it misfired while his Mom was unloading it. The boy was on the far side of their empty stock trailer out of sight and the bullet went through the trailer and killed him. How many times have people unloaded a gun like that when they get back to a vehicle after a hunt? Lots I'd bet. One guy on another website said it happened to him and when it did he killed a big ram it was pointed at. Unfortunately, it was his new Dodge truck!!! All of these rifles should be fixed whether Remington does it, the owner if they are capable of putting an aftermarket trigger in it, or by a reputable gunsmith. I have no idea how many people will get them repaired, but if even one million do I would think independent gunsmiths will have to be involved to get them done in a timely manner.
Topgun: I couldn't have said it better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.