Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement >

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Old 12-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya topgun. Not saying I wouldn't get mine fixed, just said I ain't shipping it to anyone. The guys I hunt with, literally between all of us have probably 30 700's. I actually just remembered I have 3, not 2. Got a 700VSSF .22-250 that I haven't shot in a good while, guess I need to do that this year.

Like I said, I'll be interested to hear how they plan to handle the fix. Seems almost like they would have to use local smiths, the FFL shipping hassle alone would be a nightmare. And shipping all those rifles is bound to open up new problems. Lost or damaged guns, etc.

OR... playing devils advocate....
they could say that we DO all have to ship them back at our own expense thru a FFL, thus basically eliminating the bulk of guns they have to fix. That would be the big company way of backdooring the issue. Hope they don't go that route.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
Back when Remington was made aware of this problem by Walker himself (in 1946) it would have cost 5 1/2 cents per rifle to fix the problem. Now I think they estimate some in the ballpark of 29 million. Heres another link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/massiv...211600967.html
Yep, and that figure is right in Remington documents that were placed into the court records in various lawsuits over the years.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I hear ya topgun. Not saying I wouldn't get mine fixed, just said I ain't shipping it to anyone. The guys I hunt with, literally between all of us have probably 30 700's. I actually just remembered I have 3, not 2. Got a 700VSSF .22-250 that I haven't shot in a good while, guess I need to do that this year.

Like I said, I'll be interested to hear how they plan to handle the fix. Seems almost like they would have to use local smiths, the FFL shipping hassle alone would be a nightmare. And shipping all those rifles is bound to open up new problems. Lost or damaged guns, etc.

OR... playing devils advocate....
they could say that we DO all have to ship them back at our own expense thru a FFL, thus basically eliminating the bulk of guns they have to fix. That would be the big company way of backdooring the issue. Hope they don't go that route.
You don't have to use an FFL at all when shipping to the OEM for recalls, repairs, or to have other work done. Not even for handguns. The firearm goes straight from the owner to the manufacturer, and straight back. No middleman at all. That's basically the ONE EXCLUSION where an FFL doesn't have to be involved at all, even for interstate shipping of firearms.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You don't have to use an FFL at all when shipping to the OEM for recalls, repairs, or to have other work done. Not even for handguns. The firearm goes straight from the owner to the manufacturer, and straight back. No middleman at all. That's basically the ONE EXCLUSION where an FFL doesn't have to be involved at all, even for interstate shipping of firearms.
Just got to this thread this AM and glad that was cleared up. Thanks Nm448!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Back when Remington was made aware of this problem by Walker himself (in 1946) it would have cost 5 1/2 cents per rifle to fix the problem. Now I think they estimate some in the ballpark of 29 million. Heres another link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/massiv...211600967.html
If the $29M number and the 7.8M rifles number are both correct, they're still only looking at under $4 per rifle for the repairs. I'll assume that's the after insurance cost of repairs, since not even a high volume shipper like Remington can ship the rifles one way for $4, let alone install a ~$100 trigger and PAY someone to install the trigger for $4 per rifle.

Pretty sure that their net profit on each rifle is more than $4.

Even if you consider Remington's margin restrictions that they impose upon their retailers - they let you make about $50 on every remington rifle if you want to stay a vendor for them - then you're talking about a 10% profit loss on their flagship model line. It's probably fair to assume that Remington profits more on every rifle than they allow their consumer retailers to profit, so we're really looking at a less than 10% profit loss.

One could offer a bit of a conspiracy theory on this that Remington, like all firearms manufacturers, had a banner run after the Sandy Hook and Aurora shootings, such that they're displacing "extra sales profits" into this lawsuit settlement. Remington is privately held, and I won't take the time to dig up Cerberus Capital Management's performance reports over that time, but I think it's safe to say that they made a boatload over that time frame, just like everybody else in the firearms world, so dropping $29M on a recall is no sweat. Wasn't the settlment with the family larger than that anyway?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Surprised that they are actually gonna do anything about it. I won't rant on the problems that I have had with Remington.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
............ I have no idea how many people will get them repaired, but if even one million do I would think independent gunsmiths will have to be involved to get them done in a timely manner.
Back in the day-late 80's anyway-Remington would package w/firearms a list of authorized repair facilities in each state. That would seem the most time effective/cost effective method if that practice were still followed.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good info Nomercy.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

1. It isn't a recall.
2. It isn't even official.

They aren't going to call it a recall when it becomes official, even if it is one, but until the judge signs off on the class action suit, this is just a tentative agreement to do the work, nothing more.

With that said, Remington hasn't been admitted fault for years, instead opting to settle out of court for undisclosed amounts of money and no admissions of fault...AFTER several court cases where they got hung out to dry.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
1. It isn't a recall.
2. It isn't even official.

They aren't going to call it a recall when it becomes official, even if it is one, but until the judge signs off on the class action suit, this is just a tentative agreement to do the work, nothing more.

With that said, Remington hasn't been admitted fault for years, instead opting to settle out of court for undisclosed amounts of money and no admissions of fault...AFTER several court cases where they got hung out to dry.
Yep, they aren't calling it a recall and the proposed settlement still requires the Judge to sign off on it. Remington has probably spent a lot more money settling cases and putting in that as part of the settlement the plaintiffs have to keep quiet than they would have if they had just fixed the problems voluntarily a long time ago. By not calling this a recall and not putting it out as such, I'm sure they figure and are hoping that not that many come forward to have their rifles fixed. It's a sham IMHO and just a way to finally say that they will fix them, but without a recall they will save million of dollars and still be able to say there is nothing wrong. Well if nothing is broken, then why fix it as the old saying goes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.