Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage rifles >

Savage rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage rifles

Old 11-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Savage model 111 GCNS 7mm-08 Bolt-action for Deer Hunting,it has the wood stock,Accu-trigger with Millet rings and a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40mm matte- black scope and is easy on the recoil,great knock down power and very accurate.I also own a Savage Axis XP Camo .223 for a Coyote Hunting,it is a Bolt-action with the package Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope using Hornady 55 grain V-max bullets... Reasonably priced,very accurate and well made!

For those that are on a Budget and have Bills to pay but want to Hunt I suggest shopping around,get prices and info on what they are wanting to buy and ask others what they recommend,each Individual has different Incomes,Needs and Goals and there are many affordable Entry Level Rifles available for those starting out and some of Us wanting different Makes,Model and Calibers of Rifles to add to our Hunting needs and the Fun Factor of having something new and different!

2 Major Companies that come to mind that fill the needs of those starting out is Savage with the Axis & Axis II and Ruger with their Ruger American & Ruger Predator Rifles....even Mossberg & Rossi have some good prices on different Rifles!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Spike

I have that exact rifle the OP is asking about. Mine is in 30-06 and I can say that it shot circles around my total custom model 70. I LOVE my savage. You will not be disappointed with the out of box performance! Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

My first rifle was a Savage Package deal that came with the scope. Think it was a model 110? Chambered in .308. Was a great starter rifle until I started setting up a Browning A Bolt. Couldn't beat the price at under $400 15 years ago.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 in the Axis series,22-250,223,270 for the cost they do what they need to do I also have a Trophy Hunter XP in 338 win mag and just bought a 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor,if I didn't already have my 30-06 Tikka Hunter I would of bought that in a Savage model also.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, I got the same model LH version in 30-06, topped with an Trijicon 3x9x40 red post reticle. It is a great shooter.

My only complaint is that parts of the stock feel like Tupperware, no offense to that company.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll fully agree with the accuracy claims.....Savage makes accurate rifles....

I owned several and had serious feeding issues, serious trigger issues...( that has been solved by the accutrigger) and safety failures....yes...guns discharging while on safe!

There are no Savage rifles in my house and likely never will be again...it takes more than accuracy to make a rifle.....and ...oh...yea....they're ugly!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Vapodog
I'll fully agree with the accuracy claims.....Savage makes accurate rifles....

I owned several and had serious feeding issues, serious trigger issues...( that has been solved by the accutrigger) and safety failures....yes...guns discharging while on safe!

There are no Savage rifles in my house and likely never will be again...it takes more than accuracy to make a rifle.....and ...oh...yea....they're ugly!
I've never heard of any problems like you mentioned here out on any of the hunting websites and I don't believe there was a recall for anything related to what you mentioned. Now if you were talking about the Remington 7 and 700 line I would agree 100% with what you stated, but not Savage.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Man I wouldn't use a savage for a fence post. To me they are bulky, theirs fit finish also needs improvements. Before the accutrigger their accuracy was a not their. Now with a trigger pull that is manageable I herd their accuracy has improved. The only savage I like are the old model 24. Have read about them firing with the operating the bolt and or disengaging the safty their was a video on YouTube on this one time.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Man I wouldn't use a savage for a fence post. To me they are bulky, theirs fit finish also needs improvements. Before the accutrigger their accuracy was a not their. Now with a trigger pull that is manageable I herd their accuracy has improved. The only savage I like are the old model 24. Have read about them firing with the operating the bolt and or disengaging the safty their was a video on YouTube on this one time.
They may be ugly to some, but for the price they are a well made gun. I have never seen the video you are talking about and wonder if you're mixing them up with the problems that Remington has had for decades with the 700.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:05 AM
Typical Buck

No it was a savage the guy bought from cabelas. Cant find the video. Know looked for it but cant find it. Ibhave 14 rem 700 a model seven and a 721,725 never a problem with any of them. Never had first hand exlramice with the savage doing that but read about it. Happen many times on other sites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.