Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
rem 1187 special purpose >

rem 1187 special purpose

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rem 1187 special purpose

Old 11-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Spike

Default rem 1187 special purpose

I own a 12ga rem 1187 sp that I use for turkey hunting and am considering putting a slug barrel on it for a back up deer gun. I need some advise. Does anyone know if you can mount a scope on the fully rifled iron sight barrel with using see thru scope rings. Is the barrel drilled and tapped already or do I need to but the cantaliver barrel. Can anyone suggest which barrel is better.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

The scope goes on the receiver not the barrel. Take it to a gunsmith and they'll drill and tap it for you.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Spike

Is it worth having that done or just pay the extra $ for the cantilever barrel and be done with it
Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Spike

I prefered my cantilever, seemed to hold better zero and I didn't like pulling my head up to use shoot through rings. My 2c
Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having it drilled and tapped is worthless if your using it for turkey. Put the money into a rifled/cantilever barrel, get yourself at least a decent scope. I own three 1187s. One is a 12ga with the shurshot stock camo this is my turkey gun, the other two are 12ga & 20ga both with rifled/cantilever barrels both with Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 scopes
Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

BHC told you right if you're shooting any distance, or if you just prefer a scope. Cantilever barrel is the way to go.

If you're shooting 75 yds or under though, you may fine with a smoothbore slug barrel with iron sights. This way you can shoot "rifled slug" ammo that's MUCH cheaper and highly effective as well. My Mossberg 500 with smooth slug barrel will group just fine out to 75 yds.