Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mossberg rifles >

Mossberg rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg rifles

Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg rifles

Are they any good? Ive been hearing good things about there mvp series but i was wondering what you guys think of the atr and 4x4 series. I know a few years back they were problematic, but i think they've gotten all that fixed now, just want some opinions, i would mostly use it as a coyote gun/target shooter.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would likely be fine for that intended usage.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Mossi rifle

My stepson bought one at wally world 3 years ago. Rifle works fine and is very accurate. Just watch the plastic stock one's. The sling guides break easy. Other than that, it was a great buy for the money.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I too looked at em when I was shoppin for a rifle for my son a couple years back.Went with the Savage Axis XP Youth which was a better price and came with a scope and removable mag whereas the Mossie was blind.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

I love the ATR. A good friend of mine bought one in 30-06 a couple years ago. Its a great gun. Sturdy & accurate. I'd take it over the Savage Axis or Ruger American anyday.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Spike

I have an axis xp camo in 308 and i love it, but i wouldnt mind a mossberg, they do look like a nice rifle for the price, i dont have a problem spending serious money on a firearm, but i would like a cheaper one or two that i dont care about getting banged up or whatever (i would still rather that not happen either way, but i wont feel as bad if was a $200-300 rifle vs a rifle thats around $1000.)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I never handlers a Mossberg but before Mossberg bought out the machinery from raptor arms I looked at them. They did not feel good to me, too bulky and the fit finishes was not that impressive. I would look at the ruger american. I have the American rimfire in 22 mag, put all nine shots a 1/2" group at 100 yards first time I took it out. Only gets better each time I shoot it. Herd the centerfires are just as accurate.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mossberg if I weren't brand-loyal and if I were looking for a rifle in that price range.

I honestly would not have naturally came by that opinion except that I happened to take an opportunity to shoot one a few years ago (I forget now whether it was an ATR, 4x4, MVP, and honestly don't remember the difference between them).

I was at the indoor range near me and my wife was sighting in her rifle, which meant I was standing around listening to my blood pump in my earmuffs, watching other people shoot. I noticed a guy at a lane near us that was sighting in his rifle, shooting standing, free handed, and adjusting his scope every shot. When he opened his 3rd box, I asked him about his rifle, as he was CLEARLY getting frustrated. I had glassed his target at 50yrds, and noticed there were shots all over the place, not to mention that he had shot 40rnds in under 30min while sighting in!!! I offered to help, and within a few more shots, I had him centerpunching at 100yrds (LOVE having a 100yrd indoor locally!). 5 shots fit under my thumb from a sandbag front rest with the toe of the rifle squeezed in my off hand. Sub MOA with Remington Core-lokt's and a Redfield or Tasco scope aint too bad...

Finish wasn't amazing, but on par for a ~$300 rig. Plastic stock had the typical flimsy forend, so I ran the front bag far rearward, I think I'd want to bed and block the stock, or replace it with a better stock if I were buying one for myself.

Honestly not surprising that a 'Savage Clone' would shoot straight though.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

i love mossberg rifles i own 1 the 100 atr it is a 30-06 i did a custom tiger stripe stock job on it about 1 year ago it shoots groups that are almost in the same hole at 50 yds it might be able to do it at farther ranges but i dont shoot much past that for just sighting in i dont regret buying it at all..