Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help me choose!! >

Help me choose!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose!!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

well a muzzleloader opens up some new seasons as well.
Muzzlestuffer is correct a muzzleloader, especially a side lock, will open up a whole new world of shooting for you. And just as hunting connects us with the past so will a side lock muzzleloader.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 AM
Spike

So many options. I have also thought about a 7mm.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
A compound bow.

My hunting "brothers" tell me that all my guns will rust, once I pick-up a bow !

I bet they're right.....................................but I still enjoy reaching out to touch one also !!!
Nah, I wouldn't go that far amigo! I do love bow hunting, and it's a unique pleasure to poke pins into targets all afternoon on a lazy Saturday (any idea what I have planned for this afternoon? ), but the seasons don't overlap, so don't put those rifles too far to the back of the closet!

The Crossbow seems enticing, but it's really not that much more range than the speed bows out there today. Both of my compound bows are more powerful than a big cross section of the popular Xbows out there.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Spike

Muzzle Loader its the best choice
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind, the muzzle loader season in KS is only 2wks (Sept 15 through 28th this year), plus being legal equipment during rifle seasons for an additional 2wks.

Archery equipment, compound bow or crossbow, are legal in KS for 3.5months.

So if you're looking to potentially expand your hunting season, the ML doesn't really give you much payback in terms of additional hunting days.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Muzzle Loader its the best choice" Gwenlode

NoMercy - So do you mean that a Muzzleloader is NOT the best choice.......LOL

Each to their own.

Give me a _ _ _ _ _(YOU fill in the blank)
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Sheridan, if a guy is buying a "non-rifle" weapon to gain some huntable season time, then yeah, the ML isn't the best in KS.

Years ago, muzzle loaders got the first crack at the deer before everybody else in KS. They had 2wks to themselves before archery season started. Back then, we weren't allowed to hunt archery during ML or firearms seasons either. Archery still had 3months of season available, so bows were the best investment in terms of hunting days, but then it became even moreso a few years back when they changed the season definitions to allow archery equipment during all seasons.

Then a couple years ago they approved Xbows during rifle season, and now for 2014, Xbows qualify as "archery equipment". So if you had ONE weapon, it should be a bow or xbow, as you could hunt every day of the season. ML's only get 14 extra days of season over centerfire firearms, and again, bows are legal equipment during those weeks too. Of course, you get a lot more range with the ML than the bow for those 2wks, but in general, those 2wks also fall before "pre-rut" starts, so things are dead everywhere anyway.

I own ML's, sidelock, inline, and flintlock even. I can't tell you the last time I shot the flintlock or sidelock, seems like the flintlock was before I met my wife 5yrs ago. I hunt the inline occasionally, usually just in doe-only season during the first week or two of January about every other or every 3rd year. I don't have anything against ML's I guess I'm not romanced by muzzle loaders, so logically, it makes a lot more sense to me, if you're spending money, to increase your huntable days. Xbow, compound bow, even recurve bow would do that.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Spike

Kinda leaning to a xbox at this point. Spent some time at basspro today trying to get some info as I have no clue where to even start looking. Thanks all who commented and happy hunting to all of you.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the rifle.......thank me later!