Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun safes

Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default gun safes

So I have been doing tons of research on safes "rsc". I see you can get rsc rated safes for 600 to a few thousand. There is plenty of info on why this one is better than that one, but than I thought of this... What is the point to spending 2500 when you can spend 500-600. They are all RSC rated safes which means they can be broken into in less than 5 minutes. Why spend the money on the "better" rsc when It will be broken into in the same rough time frame?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I bought a Liberty 30 gun floor model with blems (trying to shut the door with the bolts sticking out.) for about 1200.00 in 1987. It I am sure will take longer than 5 minutes to break into with normal tools found around some ones work shop.
It also has a fire rating which I can't remember now.

Al
Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My safe is a Liberty "Lincoln" with a dial lock. My purchase priorities:

1. Keep my kid and her friends and other curious guests safe.
2. Theft protection from the "hit-and-run" type of thieves.

No home safe is going to hold up against a motivated/informed thief.

I went with the dial lock because I do not trust the batteries. I live in Arizona and the safe is in the garage. The heat here is pretty rough on batteries.

Good luck with your choice. Get a safe that is bigger than what you will need right now. I find myself storing presents in the safe along with valuables other than firearms.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ipv, your average burglar isn't going to be able to break into a good gun safe, and they don't want to spend the time, they want in and out with whatever they can grab and run with. In addition, a gun safe keeps guns away from everyone when you are not home.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lpv77
So I have been doing tons of research on safes "rsc". I see you can get rsc rated safes for 600 to a few thousand. There is plenty of info on why this one is better than that one, but than I thought of this... What is the point to spending 2500 when you can spend 500-600. They are all RSC rated safes which means they can be broken into in less than 5 minutes. Why spend the money on the "better" rsc when It will be broken into in the same rough time frame?
This is not an accurate statement.

I weigh more than 20lbs. My dog weighs more than 20lbs. My 1yr old son weighs more than 20lbs. Are you trying to say that we all roughly weigh the same - just because we're all more than some lower limit? Paying for the testing and certification rating higher than the RSC is not necessarily worth much to most gunsafe manufacturers.

Time Limit Safe ratings aren't always cut and dried either. Some classifications are rated only by the door, some are only on the locking mechanism, some are on the entire safe.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

The cheapo ones you mentioned are from China with considerably lower value.For kid protection and the dumb theif with no time they are fine.