Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Compensating for kick on a shotgun >

Compensating for kick on a shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Compensating for kick on a shotgun

Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Spike

Default Compensating for kick on a shotgun

The best pattern out of my Rem 1100 is also the one that kicks like an angry mule. It's bad enough that I'm flinching, which of course means I'm missing. I seriously dread trying that round on my new pump gun... that's gonna sting.

Any tips for reducing felt recoil? It has the original wood stock with a rubber butt; looks like it's OEM. (Not certain about that; it's my father-in-law's gun and older than I am.)

And bonus question: What can I do for my poor, sore shoulder in the mean time? It's hurting so bad right now that even light target rounds are dealing me fits. I need to be shooting again by the weekend. Those turkeys won't shoot themselves! I have horse linament on the shoulder and have taken all the pain meds my wife will allow, so really I'm asking more about padding. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

You could try something like this

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sims-...Pad/741553.uts

And remember, your dentist routinely prescribes 800 mg of Ibuprofen, that's 4 Advils, or twice the nonprescription dose.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I suggest a slip on limb saver pad I have one on my single shot 12 gauge and routinely shoot 3 inch 4 shot and it now kicks like a kitten and best of all it's only 20 bucks so if you don't like it you ain't out much
Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Spike

Thank you. I'll look into that.

I also saw a shirt with a built-in pad, and reviews look promising. It's a bit pricy, but if it does the job, then sure. Especially since I'm planning to use the pump gun with slugs this fall for hogs and deer. Anyone try one? Does it work as promised, or is it a waste of money?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kick killer or PAST strap on shoulder pads aren't bad. Slip on pads are "one per long gun", whereas the shoulder pads are universal. The disadvantage is that it's another thing to put on, and a slip on pad is ALWAYS in the right spot, whereas you might miss a shoulder pad if you're not used to wearing it (not positioned right).

For slip on or screw on butt pads, I'm a fan of pachmayr decelerator pads.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Kick killer or PAST strap on shoulder pads aren't bad. Slip on pads are "one per long gun", whereas the shoulder pads are universal. The disadvantage is that it's another thing to put on, and a slip on pad is ALWAYS in the right spot, whereas you might miss a shoulder pad if you're not used to wearing it (not positioned right).

+1

Here are a few to look at;

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...oducts&x=0&y=0
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

X2 The decelerator is great. I wouldn't be without one on some of my monster mashers.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy those variable colored "Bag of Rags' at a auto parts store, and stuff a few under my shirt and partially over my shoulder. My 870 Law Enforcement...sports a cushioned strap on cheek pad that I bought from Brownells, which helps from getting your cheek knocked around.

You can buy low recoil slugs from Brenneke. I do like Federal's Law Enforcement 12 gauge, low recoil, flitecontrol wad, 9 pellet 00 buck.

I will be wearing my amplified camo Howard Leight hearing muffs, when I go shotgun hunting for turkey this spring.

Raise your reaction elbow up so that it is parallel with the ground...which creates a better shoulder pocket for the buttstock.

You have to get into a shotgun...meaning that: square up your stance some towards the target {like a football player}, a little bit of quartering away is alright, knees flexed, the majority of your weight on the balls of your feet, till your almost feel like your ready to topple over forwards.

Bring the shotgun to your head...do not bring the head down to the shotgun when you mount it.

You have to shoot a minimum of six rapid fire shots, in order to see whether the recoil is pushing you backwards.

Some smaller stature people will benefit by using the push pull method....by pulling the buttstock toward your shoulder --- with the reaction hand --- and pushing out with the support hand on the forearm of the shotgun.

Above all...breathe an relax.

Matt Burkett's "Shotgun Mastery" dvd, can explain it better than I can.

Last edited by Erno86; 04-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wear a life jacket, put the butt of the gun up against the jacket..
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My wife is recoil sensitive and will get a nice bruise with just 10 rounds of light 20ga. target loads. installed a Kick ese recoil pad and bought her a thin shooting jacket that has pockets for gel pads (there are 3 different gel pads for that pocket.) for either shoulder.
She now can shoot a 50 round sporting clays course with no problems.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.