Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning A5 old vs new >

Browning A5 old vs new

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A5 old vs new

Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does any of you match the serial number to the year an A-5 was made? Mine is 235,000. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the bad English, I should have looked at that a little longer.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, I won't buy a new A5. The hump is just for looks, and has nothing to do with the old A5. I love Auto 5's. But unless they are held tight they can jam. They are prone to crack at the forearm. But very collectable.

Today's berettas and SBEII's are hard to beat. Even the browning gold's are excellent
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Does any of you match the serial number to the year an A-5 was made? Mine is 235,000. Thanks.
Yes..there is a link right on Browning's website...based on the # you provide your gun is a late 1946 Model which makes it of the WWII era and quite collectable/desirable/valuable.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/

Last edited by emtrescue6; 06-07-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BCRules
IMO, I won't buy a new A5. The hump is just for looks, and has nothing to do with the old A5. I love Auto 5's. But unless they are held tight they can jam. They are prone to crack at the forearm. But very collectable.

Today's berettas and SBEII's are hard to beat. Even the browning gold's are excellent

Thanks for the info. - Sounds like a hunk of junk alright !!!

Browning , right ??
Old 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Thanks for the info. - Sounds like a hunk of junk alright !!!

Browning , right ??
I sure wouldn't call it a hunk of junk. I have several Belgium A5's. But buying a new one is like buying a Winchester semi auto and putting the hump on it and trying to sell it as a new A5. I would just buy the SX3 or something.

I kinda feel the same about the new mustangs and camaro's but starting to warm up to them.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

emtrescue6--Many thanks. I don't know why I did not think of trying there. I did not realize that the gun was that old. I have been told that the cracked forearm issue was largely caused by screwing the retainer nut down too hard. I was told to tighten it until it was firm, then back it off a click. I always had mine set for low power ammo and just shot the cheap one oz. loads. The brass ring that goes around the mag. tube is not easy to figure out. If it needs changing, you need to find directions on how to set it. That is a minus with these old guns. But they were beautifully made. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me I would find a Belgium A5. I have a new in box unfired Belgium a real beauty from the mid 70's. I don't know when it was made but I do know it was at the gun shop I worked at for a long time. It's the 3" magnum model. I did trade the original barrel to a friend. He wanted the modified and I wanted a full choke so the full choke barrel is like new but has been fired.It's just me I want a Belgium Browning not one Made in ***an.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said, the old auto 5 is a great gun. I own a Belgium one as well as one made in ***an....both are well made guns. If your wanting to shoot steel out of it, get yourself one with the Invector choke (made in ***an).
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Spike

Depends on what you are going to use it for. The auto 5 is a tank, both in longevity and weight. But man can they shoot. If shooting lead, find a Belgian as it is lighter. Steel has to go through a heavier invector barrel. The new model looks nice but I think they should have given it its own namesake. If you are going to be carrying it all day and, like me, don't use shoulder straps, you might consider finding a gold fusion, silver hunter or sx3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.