Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning A bolt or X bolt >

Browning A bolt or X bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A bolt or X bolt

Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NSpeziale
Kind of an odd comment. Ive been hunting and shooting for a long time with several bolt guns. In fact I've never owned a non bolt rifle. Just curious to see if people think the x or a bolt is better.
I don't think it was an odd comment. He was asking if you actually have seen and personally compared the two guns - not if you have used a bolt action. You can get all the opinions there are, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think. What matters is which one YOU like best, as they are both nice guns.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have them both, my A-Bolt Medallion is a 300mag, it is a great gun my X-Bolt Medallion is a 270wsm it is also a great gun. If I could only have one it would be my A-Bolt, but that just comes down to preference.

A-Bolt vs X-Bolt to me comes down to preference. Why I say that is because they are both great rifles. The truth is one is not any better than the other.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Spike

I agree with Luckydog that the 300 WSM is a sound choice.
They are really the ballistic equivalent to the 300 win mag and do it 10% less powder.
same bullet ,same speed, less powder, less rifle weight and length.
Once you start reloading you also lose the belt, and gain increased case life.
Unless there are untold advantages (such as your hunting partner shooting the same caliber) I cannot think of a single advantage the 300 win mag has over the 300 WSM
My .300 WSM has been my single best rifle purchase ever.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

For whatever reason, the X-Bolt seems to feel and fit for me better.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Great rifle

As I recall from the years and decades, Browning came out with the X bolt some years after my buying an A bolt.
Many of the A bolts were with the BOSS system and I notice the X bolt isn't.

Could be based on shooters that loved the BOSS and those that disliked it.
Being a more expensive rifle and me being cheap at the same time, I loved using the BOSS to come up with five different grain weights in one rifle, from 125 to 180 grs.; that shot exceptionally accurate. Took the place of at least three rifles. Fit my cheap mode perfectly.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Checking the current catalog

I noticed that the A-bolt composite stalker, which I have and they still make, comes in BOSS only.
The X-bolt composite stalker comes without a BOSS system.

I see there is a newer rifle available.

Most hunters would do good with the X-bolt. The A-Bolt requires more "attention to detail", as I would say. Mine was as much for the target range as it was for the hunting field. Not all hunters have that interest.
Thanks for getting me to review the current Browning market!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default A or X

Originally Posted by NSpeziale
Kind of an odd comment. Ive been hunting and shooting for a long time with several bolt guns. In fact I've never owned a non bolt rifle. Just curious to see if people think the x or a bolt is better.
They are both very good rifles but very different rifles as well. I have owned both and for me the X Bolt is the clear choice. I did not mean to offend, you would either like the slender profile/detachable clip of the X or hate it.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Spike

No worries. I just read your comment wrong. I thought you meant have I ever used a bolt action before.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Titanium "Mountain Ti" A-Bolt in a 300 WSM. I love the round, it's been lethal deer hunting, and accurate at all ranges I've shot it at...

The only trouble about the 300wsm round is finding "good" ammunition that is in stock. I have 4 boxes of ammo right now, and know i likely won't find the round I shoot anytime in the next year. Last September, I bought the last two boxes of my brand & grain in the entire Gander Mountain system at the time...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TSR6
The only trouble about the 300wsm round is finding "good" ammunition that is in stock.
I'm sorry but this is bad info. You can find 300 WSM at every gun store on the planet. If you don't believe me, go online. It is one of the few rounds that are still plentifull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.