HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Straightening a Shotgun Barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/3702-straightening-shotgun-barrel.html)

frizzellr 01-29-2002 09:24 PM

Straightening a Shotgun Barrel

Can a gunsmith straighten a slightly bent shotgun barrel so it can be safely fired again? If not, anyone know it older Ithaca Model 37 barrels are raplaceable?

Bud Light 01-29-2002 09:45 PM

RE: Straightening a Shotgun Barrel

I'm no gunsmith, but I think I would total your gun if I saw it. Guns aren't hard to come by in our country, get another one. Just my opinion. Just what do you think your chances are of the gun ever shooting straight again are? ZERO. If you can see that it is bent, it is bent. Trade it in to one of those cop buy a gun deals for 50 bucks. Don't sell it to a kid for his first gun.

Herman_and_bill 01-30-2002 06:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Trade it in to one of those cop buy a gun deals <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I wouldn't take a broken toy gun to one of those trade ins. That is just the antis trying to do something that don't work.
The 37 is a good gun in my opinion, take it and have it fixed. Even with a bent barrel its worth more than 50 bucks.

gun4hire35 01-30-2002 10:50 AM

Yes, a bent barrel can be straightened,IF it is not too crooked, because when it is straightened it will leave a crease in the bbl. The smith will put the barrel in a fixture and straighten it. It's pretty easy. I had a guy came in with a 20 ga barrel last sunday, with a barrel that could shoot around corners, and has been shot that way, too. I'm going to try to fix it soon.

bobgifford 01-30-2002 11:09 AM

You can practicly find an ithaca gun barrel at any gun store. I see all kinds of them and they all fit eachother mostly, you can probly get one for a little more than what it costs to have it fixed

Edited by - bobgifford on 01/30/2002 12:11:03

1SHOT_1KILL 01-30-2002 01:46 PM

Yes it can be straighten, as long as it is not kinked at the bend. To straighten it would cause the kinked portion to become very weak or maybe even split, either way it would ruin the barrel and create an unsafe condition in which the gun should not be fired.

Yes, you can find replacement barrels for your Model 37. Try Gun Parts Corps or Bob Gun Shop. Wish I had the info to post a link, but I don't have it here at this time.

remingtonman 01-30-2002 02:24 PM

Yes, there are some replacement barrels model 37. When checking arround be sure you have you serial number with you. If the old barrel is visibly bent I would not shot it even if it was straighted out. The stress put on the barrel could have created a weak spot and that is something you don't want to find out while you shooting someday.

bobgifford 01-30-2002 03:09 PM

you can also buy new barrels straight from the source. www.ithaca-gun.com