HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Magnesium use in rifles? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/357797-magnesium-use-rifles.html)

salukipv1 01-28-2012 03:33 PM

Magnesium use in rifles?

Anyone know of magnesium being using to build rifles/parts ever?

Wonder if an action built out of this or perhaps parts/magazine would make sense? magnesium vs plastic magazine? guess plastic is cheaper and accomplishes the same thing? so maybe an action would make more sense then?

magnesium vs. titanium action? receiver/bolt?
I think I saw an aluminum action online somewhere.

your knowledge/thoughts?

Sfury 01-28-2012 04:59 PM

Magnesium reacts with a lot of things. Which is a bad thing.

It burns hot and bright too. I remember burning magnesium in science class back in high school. They don't do that any more due to liability issues. Poor kids.

Although, it appears that magnesium alloys are being used by some companies. Which makes sense from a chemical reaction standpoint. You wouldn't want your gun to light on fire after firing the first round after all.

CarpetBaggerDan 01-31-2012 11:19 AM

Magnesium? O_O Like this?

http://is.gd/9YabR8

lol, jk. Maybe magnesium alloys would be good for manufacturing firearms? I'm hardly a chemist, but it's still an interesting concept. Imma keep tabs on this, lemme know what you find out.

Centaur 1 01-31-2012 03:13 PM

CarpetBaggerDan, I learned the hard way that magnesium and water don't mix. I had quite a bit of magnesium to cut on the band saw. I started by fully cleaning the saw before I did any cutting, then when I was done I recleaned the saw to get rid of any magnesium chips. Since I was cleaning up, I decided to clean the horizontal bandsaw also. Anyone who's ever used one knows that there is a coolant system on these saws, and the chips are wet. Long story short, I used a shop-vac to clean both saws then I put the saw away. It was a couple of hours later when someone else used the vaccuum. Luckily he wasn't hurt because when he flipped the on switch, the latches that hold the top to the canister let go and the motor hit the ceiling. Lesson learned, magnesium and water don't mix.

Jarrey12 01-31-2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Centaur 1 (Post 3907001)
CarpetBaggerDan, I learned the hard way that magnesium and water don't mix. I had quite a bit of magnesium to cut on the band saw. I started by fully cleaning the saw before I did any cutting, then when I was done I recleaned the saw to get rid of any magnesium chips. Since I was cleaning up, I decided to clean the horizontal bandsaw also. Anyone who's ever used one knows that there is a coolant system on these saws, and the chips are wet. Long story short, I used a shop-vac to clean both saws then I put the saw away. It was a couple of hours later when someone else used the vaccuum. Luckily he wasn't hurt because when he flipped the on switch, the latches that hold the top to the canister let go and the motor hit the ceiling. Lesson learned, magnesium and water don't mix.

i once saw someone put 4 oz. of pure magnesium in a bathtub full of water and the thing blew up that along with pure sodium are explosive when mixed with water i believe

bronko22000 02-01-2012 02:00 PM

Although it is true that some actions are made out of aluminum, even polymers, the critical areas are still re-enforced with steel. Shotguns are a prime example of alum/steel receivers.

salukipv1 02-01-2012 03:03 PM

as for the water thing, I'm sure there's a way around that, as some bike frames are made out of magnesium.

I'm guessing steel or titanium is still preferred though for a rifle action.

Jarrey12 02-01-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3907452)
as for the water thing, I'm sure there's a way around that, as some bike frames are made out of magnesium.

I'm guessing steel or titanium is still preferred though for a rifle action.

Magnesium alloys lol thats the way around it