Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Has anybody shot or bought the 308 Marlin Express? >

Has anybody shot or bought the 308 Marlin Express?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anybody shot or bought the 308 Marlin Express?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anybody shot or bought the 308 Marlin Express?

I am extremely curious about this rifle and bullet. I currently shoot a 270 Winchester, but have a tough time with carrying the gun for long hunts. Now I also have a Marlin 30-30 and a Marlin 1894 44 Magnum rifle and they are much easier on me for packing. What I am looking for is a levergun that I can pack when Elk hunting and possibly use it for deer hunting too, which the 308 Marlin Express sounds perfect for. Now I know that there are other cartridges out that are chambered in leverguns, but I am curious about this one. So please, if you have any experience with it, or even some thoughts feel free to chime in. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anybody shot or bought the 308 Marlin Express?

Nobody has any experience with them? Or even any thoughts or opinions on it? Or maybe a link to some reviews?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:42 PM

I have a friend that bought one.

I really couldn't see any difference between a regular 308 and the Marlin Express besides the ability to shoot pointed bullets in a lever action firearm.

Gun manufacturers comes out with new models from time to time to generate sales.

In my opinion, you would be better off finding a used Model 88 Winchester in 308!

The ammo will be cheaper and more accessable.

My luck in life is when ever you need something - it is not available. Like 9 Pm on a Sunday night before the opening day of deer season.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will look into the Winchester mdl 88. The only thing that really bothers me about the 308 MX is that you really cannot reload for it. Other than that though, it is everything that I am lookin for in a gun.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Sure you can reload for it, as long as you have the brass and the dies and the bullets.

You can buy components at Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield Pa for it right now.

They also sell online to gun shops at www.gricewholesale.com
Old 11-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

They told me at the sporting goods store that I buy my supplies at that you cannot get dies for the 308 Marlin Express. I know that I would have to buy a couple of boxes of the Hornady Leverevolution ammo to get brass and I would also have to use flat point bullets to reload my own since you cannot buy the leverevolution bullets yet if ever.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm not mistaken I think the only load is a 160 gr load which at that speed is too light for elk in my opinion. Not to mention that component bullets probably will not be offered.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM

I am also interested in all the info I can get for the new marlin 308 express!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM

I do have some info on reloading the marlin 308 express cartriges. Unfortunately the info I have is to reload round nose bullets from Hornady and not the new soft point that they are advertising. The info is a spreedsheet on how to work a load for the round nose bullets. Info came straight from a tech advisor at hornady. This gentleman also told me that the new soft point bullets would not be available to reload for approx. 12-18 months because they are having trouble producing enough bullets to keep the store shelves stocked. I am interested in purchasing one of the new Marlin 308 mxlr with the stainless barrel and laminated stock, but like many others I am leary of the availabilty of ammo. Perhaps if they are having trouble keeping up with demand there will soon be more production and availability!!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 PM

If any one has any Info or has bought or shot one of these new rifles please contact me. I will check back on a daily basis and post anything I come up with!

Quick Reply: Has anybody shot or bought the 308 Marlin Express?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.