Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Modified choke tube and rifled slugs? >

Modified choke tube and rifled slugs?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Modified choke tube and rifled slugs?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Modified choke tube and rifled slugs?

I need to know if I can safely shoot Remington Slugger 12ga rifled slugs through my Moss. 500 with a modified choke tube? I have searched the forums and elsewhere and have found very different opinions. Some say the Remington slugs have a larger diameter projectile than others and will damage the barrel with a modified. choke tube in place. I have read that cyl. or imp. cyl. is best, but that modified will also work and is fine for rifled slugs. Any help would be appreciated. If I have to I will buy aother choke tube. But if what I have will work without damage, I will use that. I have 2 accu-choke barrels in 18.5 and 28 vr barrels with the accu-chokeII, but both of my current chokes are each in modied. Thanks alot.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen guys do it safely for years with a Mod. and no ill affects. I feel that you can do so and safely and not have any problems. I have been doing gunsmithing for years and sighing in weapons for others and myself for longer and have not personally seen bad from this practice.
The big problem you face is will the weapon shoot them accurately. I would get a box of each Fed., Winch, and Remington and see which shoots better in your weapon.
I know this is going to start a blog fire, but here it goes. I do not and have not, seen where 3" outperforms 2-3/4" other than making your children born black, blue and neked!!!
I have fired over 25K deer slugs between work and home and have yet to see the 3" outperform on paper over the 2-3/4". That is out of Benellie SBE, SBE2, Remington's, Winchesters SX2, H&R's, and now a Savage 220. All in 12ga. My experience with 20 ga has been bout the same. Less weapons to work with in that class. Give it a try and don't try to shoot them all in one day, unless using a lead sled. Too much on the shoulder and you will start flinching shortly and never know what the slugs potential truly was. Hope this helps, a tad long I know.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you can shoot rifled slugs through your modified choke. You could even shoot rifled slugs through a full choke. But you will probably have best results with a modified or improved cylinder.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agree with the above but wanted to add...The barrel is made of steel, slugs are made of lead, steel is harder than lead...This is why it won't harm the barrel...The softer lead slug simply constricts to fit the choke...
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can but your best bet would be to buy a rifled choke tube.Check Gun Broker or ebay for good prices.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
You can but your best bet would be to buy a rifled choke tube.Check Gun Broker or ebay for good prices.
I may do that eventually. If I have a rifled choke I need to use saboted slugs then....right?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
I may do that eventually. If I have a rifled choke I need to use saboted slugs then....right?
Yes, rifled chokes are made fer sabot slugs, and smooth tubes are for rifled slugs.

You might try tru-ball if you still wanna play with rifled slugs. They have grouped excellent for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my 835 with rifled barrel both types of slugs shoot great.Might work with just a rifled choke as well.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
it depends. Most saboted slugs say use with a rifled barrel. There are only a few saboted slugs that say you can use a rifled choke. I went thru all this recently trying to find a slug setup for my tc encore in 20g. I ended up buying a carlson rifled choke and im still in the process of testing to see which slug gives me the best groups
Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

The following is from Mossberg's website. I added this because I have an 835 and wanted to know if I could shoot slugs out of it. The answer for me is no because I do not have the slug barrel which is recommended for the models 835 and 935 due to an overbored barrel. Just thought this added info might help someone else reading this who also has an 835 or 935 and doesn't want to risk injury or damaging their shotgun.http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?...tion=resources
Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through a "smoothbore" field barrel with Accu-Choke™ tubes? (500/505/535/9200/88/930 models) Yes, and with sabots or rifled slugs, the more "open" the choke tube, the better the accuracy ("Improved Cylinder" recommended.) The "full" or "modified" choke tubes are preferred for buckshot loads. Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full "turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads. <A name=835slugs>Can I fire slugs through my 935™ or 835® vent rib, Accu-Mag® choke tube barrel? No, 935™ and 835® field barrels (those with a ventilated rib) are "overbored," and the extra inside diameter may cause the projectile to "wobble" producing unreliable accuracy. A projectile may wedge inside the barrel causing an obstruction. Obstructions of any kind can cause damage to the firearm resulting in damage to the barrel and/or personal injury to you or those around you. Dedicated fully rifled slug barrels are available for the 935™ and 835® models. Other 935™ and 835® Accu-Mag® choke tube notes: Buckshot and steel-shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full turkey tube installed.