Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Chiappa Firearms Tracking Device? >

Chiappa Firearms Tracking Device?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Chiappa Firearms Tracking Device?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Chiappa Firearms Tracking Device?

I just recently stumbled on this link that Chiappa is now putting a chip in every firearm manufactured by them. Here is the link interesting read and if this is true we need to start a boycott on all of their firearms until they stop putting them in their firearms.

http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/ind...t-the-message/
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good to know. I doubt we will ever stock another Chiappa firearm from here on out.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly, you're mis-understanding the technology they're talking about.

When you say the words "tracking device", people can't help but think of Orson Welles and Big Brother, but an RFID chip isn't what I'd call a "tracking device".

These chips are NOT something that can be located at random, as in a GPS transmitter. RFID chips are essentially a digital serial number, nothing more.

The article claims they could be re-written to include new information, reflecting sales or transfers, but personally, there's no reason any shooter would REQUEST that info be programmed into the chip, nor would they take the time to RE-WRITE the chip upon a private sale... And beyond that, there is no system in place to REQUIRE a shooter to perform those steps.

Frankly, I think it's a neat idea. Not really as functional as it might seem, since they'd be removeable, or erasable (strong electromagnetic field will "kill" an RFID chip's memory), but it would at least take more than a file to erase a serial number off a gun.

It ain't a great plan, and it'll fizzle out quickly, but don't worry, "big brother" aint watching you through your Chiappa 1911...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

There is an awful lot of paranoia out there.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I understand that it is not a gps chip but it scares the hell out of me that they are putting a chip in the firearm period. In my opinion this ranks right up there with microstamping. Yes we got it shut down for now but do not under estimate the bullheadedness of the anti gun crowd. And all we need is for one company to provide ammo to the anti gun crowd that this company is putting a chip in there guns so all of the others need to. And then next thing you know the anti gun crowd raises the ante and want a gps chip in the gun and then all hell breaks loose from there I would much rather get this idea nipped in the butt early to prevent any of the afore mentioned scenarios from having a chance to maybe become reality.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Westtex has a good point. Each little step like this is one step closer to things we don't want.
-Jake
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Seems to me like it was like chipping your dog at the vet. A great idea for tracking service,ownership or returning a lost or stolen gun. Terrible implimentation and naming. If we could be sure it would just be a history guide or used for a return to owner. Its a great idea and would save many from the recycle fate and reduce the files on the off chance they build something like a Win 70 ,92,94. It'd be neat to know some star bought it gave it to there cousin who hocked it for a rehab payment.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nomercy is exactly correct. Think of it as a bar code on a label, or a micro chip in a dog. Same thing. All it is is a quick means of retrieving a s/n and probably a manf. date. Nothing more.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Currently, the SMALLEST GPS transmitters/trackers available are about half the size of a blackberry cell phone, and just as thick, and require recharges quite often. RFID chips are a totally different animal, for example commonly embedded in hotel room keys and corporate ID badges, and essentially never require a recharge.

Beyond that, a programmable RFID chip DOES help identify the legal owner of a firearm, if said owner should choose to reprogram their chip. Frankly, if the gun is stolen, it'll be held as evidence, and even if the true owner IS proven, they'll likely never get the gun back anyway.

A GPS system would be essentially pointless. Again, the batteries and size would be the biggest initial drawback, and beyond that, if I KNOW my gun has a GPS transmitter in it, I can jam or disable the signal quite easily. Further still, Who will monitor the flow of MILLIONS of firearms moving around the country at all times? What servers would receive and store said tracking flow data? How would this PREVENT crime? It'd make more sense to have metal detectors in liquor stores, that way the clerk would at least have a warning that someone coming in might be packing. The only thing the GPS unit would tell you is where the perp dropped the gun after he already shot the clerk.