Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifle prices >

rifle prices

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle prices

Old 08-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default rifle prices

Is it just me or have high powered rifle prices gotten out of hand.I live in Manitoba so I have no clue what your paying in the U.S,but here you can' t buy a new bolt action for under $600 + 14 % tax +registration fees.That is for a base no frills rifle,no scope, no case,nothing but the gun.By the time you mount the scope your looking at a $1000 easy and thats if you get a cheap scope!If you want to get really fancy well you can spend $3500 easy.To me thats alot of dough,I think if poeple actually knew what it cost the gun company' s to build these guns we might think twice about shelling out that kind of cash.Am I alone here,what do you guys think.Thanks for your input.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rifle prices

14% TAX & REGISTRATION FEES!!! [][X(]

Man, your gov' t really bends you over and sticks it to ya, don' t they?! [:@][X(]

Bet you won' t miss your next chance to vote, eh? Your government is out of control!

Mike
Old 08-13-2003, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, prices of all types of guns are very much too high! And we pay an 11% excise tax here in the U.S. on all guns & loaded ammo, which is ALMOST as much as you have to pay in Canada. (This is without " registration fees" , which I hope we never see here!!)

The myth is that " sportsmen insisted on the 11% tax under the Pittman Robertson Act in order to pay for government game management and conservation programs" . I researched this question once, and discovered that the 11% tax was placed on firearms and ammunition in the late 1800' s, and was MERELY REALLOCATED to conservation and game management programs by Pittman-Robertson!! It had been going to the general treasury prior to Pittman-Robertson. So the old saw that " shooters and hunters asked to be taxed" is just another " Urban Legend" !![&:]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:41 AM

I just payed 549.99$ American for a brand new Browning A-Bolt 2 synthetic.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spend 637$ on a Winchester classic featherweight model 70. Thats without scope rings,bases,sling,recoil pad etc. With the scope and rings,bases,sling,recoil pad its easily over 1k$. I think my next gun will be a savage [8D]
Old 08-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trac209

... you can spend $3500 easy.To me thats alot of dough.
Of course that' s Canadian money so it' s about $29.34 U.S.

Just kidding of course. Prices here are high too but there are some really good deals out there. Check into buying a Tikka if you can. I think they are selling for under $500 here in the U.S. and are really a good rifle for the money (1" MOA guarentee, Sako barrel and action, smooth-as-silk action).
Old 08-13-2003, 11:51 PM

I just bought a new Win 70 FW -total price $680.00 w/o optices. By the time I finish I have over $1,400 in the rifle.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:55 AM

Trac,

I' ve noticed that gun prices and ammo usually go up very marginally twice a year in Ontario. Early in the new year and mid-summer.

Originally when I questioned the increase they said european manufacturers of firearms (tikka, sako, now owned by beretta) were realigning their product prices with american manufacturers who had already issued their increases. I think that was all BS!, what I truly believe is there' s been a hidden tax put on these products. Its probably a tiny percentage increase which causes a 50 cent increase in ammo and a 10 to 15 dollar increase in the firearm. Apply that twice a year over 3 to 5 years that I' ve noticed it and its big bucks real quick.

Shop around the deals are there, most smaller shops have no tax sales once a year and will negotiate on price.

We' ll see what happens when Bass Pro comes to Canada next year. Hopefully Cabelas will follow suit.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

I had no idea that bass pro was coming to canada,when are the supposed to set up shop here?Does anyone know.It would also be nice if cabelas came too,I' m getting tired of only having one S.I.R store and one farmers supply.In a city of 800,000 thats pretty sad.Thats why they get away with these outragous prices because they have the only store in the city.We can' t even come to the U.S.A to buy guns because we can' t bring them back into canada.The government here is getting out of hand.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:57 PM

Just think though, This year I will have spent nearly $1100 on my Mathews LX and all of the garbage mounted on it. I will spend another $100 on arrows and Broad heads, in three years I will sell the bow for $400 if I can get it. and buy the new wizbang bow on the market.

BUT I paid $600 for my Remington 700, $150 for the muzzle break, $300 for the scope, $100 for other " accessories" Shot about $100 through the gun, That puts me at $1250 roughlly. I can see that rifle in my family for 100 years if it is well taken care of. That' s the reason the guns cost so much and when you compare that to Archery,,,, there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo much more value in a rifle.

JMO

Quick Reply: rifle prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.