Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone use Fusion ammo?? >

Anyone use Fusion ammo??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone use Fusion ammo??

Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone use Fusion ammo??

Anyone use Fusion ammo??

I've tried 165 gr. Fusions in my Winchester model 88 308 Win. They shoot very well, as most ammo does in this rifle. However, I've never shot any game with them. I'm looking for a good all round bullet for both my 280 Rem. (Remington 700 Classic) and my above mentioned 308 Win. for deer, hogs and black bear hunting. How will the Fusion ammo work for what I'm going to use it for? I don't want to go over kill for deer but I want to use the same bullet for hogs and black bear. So I don't have to sight in with different ammo every time I hunt one or the other mentioned game. Or is there something better I can use to hunt all three of the above mentioned game with switching and having to sight in something different?

Thanks, NYH!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

I am not a big fan of fusion ammo...I rank it up there with the Remington Core lokt's...it will do the job, but not as well as a premium bullet. Considering you want to use the same bullet for several different game of various size, choosing a premium bullet will serve you much better. There are many different premium bullet manufactures out there that make a good bullet that can be had in factory ammo, Speer, Nosler, Hornady...

I can't speak to the 280 rem as I don't have one and never have...but I can speak toward the 308. I have several and have loaded for and hunted with one for years. In my .308's I have a fond preference for Nosler bullets....especially the partitions and the newer AccuBonds. For the game you describe I would highly recommend the 165g Nosler AccuBonds or even the 165g Nosler Partitions. Both are highly accurate and effective and can be hand-loaded for or purchased in factory produced ammo like Winchester Supreme, Federal, Nosler and other brands. The 165g bullet is highly accurate in the 30 cal guns, especially the .308 and will have the energy to get the job done on any of the game you mention.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a rifle in the past that I had tons of trouble getting to shoot well at all. I finally found that it liked Federal Fusion ammo, but that was the only thing I could get to shoot well. It was a 30-06 and I shot the 150 grain ones. I was impressed by the accuracy, and from what I've read, this is a common compliment.

Then I took them hunting, and I only got to shoot one deer with them, but it did great to. It surprised me as it just poked a small hole through the chest, and didn't do a ton of damage, but the deer dropped right there. I was impressed, and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I personally would recommend them based on doing a lot of target shooting, and the little bit of hunting I've done with them.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

I love em. There my alltime favorit sp. Ive tried most the sp on tge market and these shoot the best and remind me of a partition on game perfect bullet. Ive killed 5 deer a dog and a ghog with em all 1shot stops. The deer ranged fron 30yds to 275yds 3droped on the spot the others didnt go over 30yds. All pass threws and leave huge bloodtrails. Id use em on bear and hogs anyday.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys.

My friend has had really good luck with 165 gr. Fusions in his Remington 7400 30-06. Out of the 6 or 7 deer he's shot using them only one failed to go all the way through. It was on the largest deer he shot using them. IIRC it was a 10 point that dressed out around 175 lbs. It was quartering away from him at about 50 yards when he shot it. The bullet went in behind the last rib on the left side and went all the way through the right shoulder and was held in by the skin. The deer went a few yards and tumbled. He brought the bullet in to work so we could see it. It was pretty close to twice it's size and mushroomed perfectly. The bullet stayed together really well.

He's not a gun guy at all, but he's a big deer hunter. He finds something that works and sticks with it. And he swears by the Fusion's that he uses. That's why I tried them in my 308 Win. My 308 shoots just about anything I've shot through it really well. It'll shoot just under an inch if I'm up to it with the 165 gr. Fusions. I'm going to have to try them in my 280 too!

NYH!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
Thanks guys.

My friend has had really good luck with 165 gr. Fusions in his Remington 7400 30-06. Out of the 6 or 7 deer he's shot using them only one failed to go all the way through. It was on the largest deer he shot using them. IIRC it was a 10 point that dressed out around 175 lbs. It was quartering away from him at about 50 yards when he shot it. The bullet went in behind the last rib on the left side and went all the way through the right shoulder and was held in by the skin. The deer went a few yards and tumbled. He brought the bullet in to work so we could see it. It was pretty close to twice it's size and mushroomed perfectly. The bullet stayed together really well.

He's not a gun guy at all, but he's a big deer hunter. He finds something that works and sticks with it. And he swears by the Fusion's that he uses. That's why I tried them in my 308 Win. My 308 shoots just about anything I've shot through it really well. It'll shoot just under an inch if I'm up to it with the 165 gr. Fusions. I'm going to have to try them in my 280 too!

NYH!
If they shoot well from your rifle, then by all means use them. I tried some in 25-06 a few years back and they were plenty accurate enough to hunt with. I did not hunt with them as I found 3 other loads that grouped much better.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
Anyone use Fusion ammo??

I've tried 165 gr. Fusions in my Winchester model 88 308 Win. They shoot very well, as most ammo does in this rifle. However, I've never shot any game with them. I'm looking for a good all round bullet for both my 280 Rem. (Remington 700 Classic) and my above mentioned 308 Win. for deer, hogs and black bear hunting. How will the Fusion ammo work for what I'm going to use it for? I don't want to go over kill for deer but I want to use the same bullet for hogs and black bear. So I don't have to sight in with different ammo every time I hunt one or the other mentioned game. Or is there something better I can use to hunt all three of the above mentioned game with switching and having to sight in something different?

Thanks, NYH!

I have used them in my Marlin Lever Gun, 357 mag, and it was impressive on a deer. Shot a doe and 65 or so yards and it looked like a train hit her she went down so fast. Who needs a blood trail when you nail them to the ground.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I just traded my 308 today for a new Remington 7600 Carbine 30-06. My dealer ordered it and it'll be here in a few days. Going to put an older Redfield Tracker 3-9x40mm Scope on it. It's been a great scope for me and is pretty light for the size it is. Can't wait to get this combo together and some rounds through it!

Don't have to worry about 308 Win. ammo lol!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Spike

There my alltime favorit sp. Ive tried most the sp on tge market and these shoot the best and remind me of a partition on game perfect bullet

Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

The Fusions are "ok", as was said I'd put them a step up or two from the "ok pile" with Corelokts and Silvertips. But honestly if you want one "getter dun" bullet for either your 06 or your 280 for the game you listed then I think you'll be mightily impressed by the Barnes Triple Shock and Tipped Triple Shock. Besides astounding "on game" performance, with the construction and complete penetration you can drop back in weight which will allow you to pick up velocity and trajectory without giving up any terminal performance and penetration. I've shot MANY deer with my 06s and a pet Remington Custom Shop 280 and used both with several different loads in nearly 30 years of hunting big game. The X-bullets are ALL I, my sons and guests shoot anymore.

In Federal Vital Shok try the 165 Triple Shock in your 06 (and if you REALLY wanna cranker up, they offer it in 110 Tipped Triple Shock, as many heads of game and different calibers that I've used with Barnes I wouldn't hesitate to whack a whitetail with the 110 TTSX). My BEST recommendation would be the Barnes Vor-Tx 150 TTSX for your 06, she'll be ready for anything you listed from bowrange to next zipcode!

280 wise, same thing, look at Federal Prem. in a 140 TSX. (Barnes isn't yet offering anything in the 280). I used the 140 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws in my 280 years ago (before any Barnes were available over the counter) and for me they worked considerably better than the regular Sierra boattails and even the Nosler Partitions. I just prefer full pass-thrus and great accuracy and get loads of all in the TSXs. The TBBCs are tough bullets, I've killed several does with them in 55grns in my 22/250. Upper neckshots inside of 300yds spells LIGHTS OUT with the lil "death ray" 22.

The new 7600 7mm-08 "basketball rifle" I got last week will be firing Barnes Vor-Tx 120 TTSXs this fall (ordered 2 boxes of it when I picked the gun up).

Also, nearly everyone is copying the Barnes now, Remington has the "Copper Solid" which might even be a Barnes as the company that owns Rem bought Barnes in 09. Hornady has their new GMX which is a solid copper, Barnes copy. Winchester has the XP3 and Etip which borrow heavily from Barnes as well.

If your concerned about price, just buy some clearance rack corelokts or softpoints of equal weight and sight your gun in and practice with those. Then shoot 6 or so of the premium bullets for fine tuning and to know exactly where they are hitting at whatever ranges you need info for. In hunting big game for nearly 30 years (nearly 200 whitetails, a mulie, elk and antelope each) I've come to the conclusion that "foot pounds of energy" and wanting a bullet that stays IN the animal is IMHO pure hogwash. The only times I've ever regularly been able to drop them stoned dead in their tracks was to either shoot them in the spine, neck, through both shoulders (which ruins alot of good meat) or from stem to stern "TX heartshot". Otherwise, with most deer calibers from 243 thru 300mags, a standing broadside, behind the shouler, through the lungs rarely drops them. They usually take a few steps or even make a few yards. (The only caliber I've had consistent "in their track" drops from simple lung pass thrus was with my Lazzeroni Warbird. Even my 7mags and 300Wby doesn't always drop them instantly with lung only pass thrus.) Blood loss and tissue/organ damage is what kills. The Barnes does horrific damage inside the chest cavity and as a result of the pass thru, you are left with a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow! When you hear, "He quit bleeding" that usually means there was no exit hole. They DON'T quit bleeding with two holes in them!!! What would you rather have in bowhunting, 1 or 2 holes in them? Same with a gun, but you also get the tissue and nerve damage.

WHACK EM,
HL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.