Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin 17VS/.17 HMR >

Marlin 17VS/.17 HMR

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 17VS/.17 HMR

Old 07-26-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Marlin 17VS/.17 HMR

Finally got one of those new fangled .17HMR' s. Found one used at a local shop and thought what the heck. The stock fits me better than most of the others and I' m partial to laminated wood anyways.
Topped it off with a Swift 4-12x scope now the question will be what ammo to try. The shop has Hornady of course but also CCI and Remington.
Anyone have any feed back on how any of these work for both accuracy and performance on varmints?
Old 07-26-2003, 02:09 PM

Default RE: Marlin 17VS/.17 HMR

I' ve only used the Hornady so far but it does nicely. I have heard of some people having feeding problems with the CCI. Here' s a page with some more info about the hornady ammo, icluding pictures of some messed up ground squirrels

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
Old 07-26-2003, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the link, saved that to my favorites.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:48 PM

I find the Hornady performs the best, but next in line would be the remingtons.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The way the 17HMR ammo is you' re lucky finding any.The demand is there but the supply is low.I waited two months for Hornady. Finally CCI became available so I switched my order to the CCI' s. I' ve heard the Hornady' s shoots well. The CCI someone said about feeding problems in their gun.That could just be their particular gun.I have one box of the Remington' s but haven' t heard a thing how the Remington' s perform.Since I haven' t shot my 17 yet,I can' t comment about the accuracy with different ammo.I' m sure there wouldn' t be much difference in any of them.I do hope the CCI works well in my rifle. I bought 20 boxes of it.I hope to buy one of the Ruger Single Sixes in 17 when they become available.Which shouldn' t be to far off.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 07-27-2003, 01:04 PM

I think the ammo availability is a regoinal thing or something. Here it' s not that hard to find now. The place I bought the rifle from had Hornady, CCI and Remington.

I keep forgetting about the Ruger Single-Six coming out in .17HMR that ought to be a nice one.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 17 HMR ammo I did find at gun shops.They' re getting 10.00+ a box.The Hornady that was back ordered for a couple months before the CCI became available was through Midsouth. It was 7.62 a box.The Ruger NR617 is listed in the 2003 Ruger Catalog. It' s going to have a 6.5" bbl.I' ll bet once they' re released they' ll go like Hot Cakes.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 07-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

10$ a box here but no shortage for hornady and cci brand. My marlin 17 vs has fed flawlessly both brands though ive heard a few others not eating the cci well. Im not real sure wich one my gun shoots better sense i havent shot them side by side but it shoots both well, squirrels and crows beware this fall!
Old 07-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Host of Hosts

I' m one of those who have had feeding problems with the CCI, the Remington and Hornady feed well and they both shoot equally well too. I try to buy the Hornady when available only because they were the ones who came up with the idea and the red tips are cool. LOL
Old 07-29-2003, 05:48 PM

The problem isn' t nescessarily a true shortage. Some gun shops are stockpiling a small amount of ammo to keep for guys who buy guns from them. It' s more to protect their customers. My experiance with the .17 wasn' t too good. I shoot alot of gophers around my neck of the woods, and found the .22 mag still does a better job on those little beggars. I shot one gopher in the neck facing me head on. We paced it off around 120 yards. The little .17 went in, but did not come out the other side. Yet others I talk to like them. I' ll stick to my .22 mag

Quick Reply: Marlin 17VS/.17 HMR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.