Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning X-Bolt vs Winchester Model 70 >

Browning X-Bolt vs Winchester Model 70

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning X-Bolt vs Winchester Model 70

Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
That's what I hear that's what I'm reading.

Sheridan I'm going with a wood/blued gun. Both guns feel good to shoulder.The Browning has the detachable magazine box the Winchester has the floor plate,doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
I like the stock a little better on the Winchester especially the Schnabel fore grip but I good live with either one.
Both guns have good reputations and loyal followings.Both are in the same price range give or take $50.
Going to Cabelas this weekend in PA. gonna compare them side by side then decide.

went to fondel the new Win. 70 in stainless with wood.
Very sexy !

Last edited by zrexpilot; 02-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I hear that's what I'm reading.

Sheridan I'm going with a wood/blued gun. Both guns feel good to shoulder.The Browning has the detachable magazine box the Winchester has the floor plate,doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
I like the stock a little better on the Winchester especially the Schnabel fore grip but I good live with either one.
Both guns have good reputations and loyal followings.Both are in the same price range give or take $50.
Going to Cabelas this weekend in PA. gonna compare them side by side then decide.

That is the best way to do it....compare them side to side and make your choice of what you like best.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
went to fondel the new Win. 70 in stainless with wood.
Very sexy !

It is a very nice looking rifle!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh good God the model 70 is a superior rifle in every way. It's a real rifle. Yes I know that FNH owns both Browning and Winchester but they are very different companies and very different rifles. John Browning would be rolling over in his grave if he could see what Browning is producing today. Under a grand, and compared to many rifles over a grand, the model 70 has it hands down.

*The model 70 has the best safety ever designed on a rifle.
*The model 70 has a coned breech that pretty much eliminates a round popping up and jamming against the breech face.
*The model 70's extractor is a hundred times stronger than that of the X-bolt though the extractor in the X-bolt is a vast improvement over the A-bolt.
*The model 70's bolt can be field stripped with out any additional tools in the off event that you fall into a creek in Colorado in December when it's 20 below 0* and have to get the ice out like I did one year.
*The model 70 just looks a hell of a lot better than that euro-trash styled rifle that the Browning is.
*If it matters to you the model 70 is made here in the USA.

*The tang on the X-bolt is easily snapped off when you remove the rifle from the stock due to it being made of some kind of porous pot metal kind of stuff.
*The x-bolt's magazine is a plastic piece of junk. Good luck getting it back together if you ever need to take it apart to get something out.

Last edited by bigbulls; 02-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you say that Tom. Both seem to be nicely finished,actions are smooth wood is nice,although I like the checkering on the model 70 better,both seem to be quality guns.
See Bigbulls response than add to it not a fan of high gloss finish wood on a rifle. Just personal preference.

The only draw back I see to the Winchester M70 is the trigger. There will be a trigger out for this rifle within the next couple of years.

Big Bulls,

I spoke with Timney the other day, they wouldn't give me a date but they say they could have a trigger out within the year. I'm very excited.

Tom
Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big Bulls,

I spoke with Timney the other day, they wouldn't give me a date but they say they could have a trigger out within the year. I'm very excited.
I'm surprised it has taken them this long.

We just got in a model 70 in 416 Rem Mag in and even though it doesn't have true express sights and the stock is grade 1 wood that rifle is a wonderfully balanced and proportioned rifle. If I were looking for a DG rifle and didn't want to go custom these model 70's would be at the top of the list.

Last edited by bigbulls; 02-01-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I'm surprised it has taken them this long.

We just got in a model 70 in 416 Rem Mag in and even though it doesn't have true express sights and the stock is grade 1 wood that rifle is a wonderfully balanced and proportioned rifle. If I were looking for a DG rifle and didn't want to go custom these model 70's would be at the top of the list.
Yeah, I would love to have that rifle. I always wanted a 416 Rem. mag, I dont need one one but I could say that about most of the guns I have, its a matter of want rather than need. How much is that rifle going for anyway?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks big bulls you bring out some good points,that's why I ask.I do like the looks of the model 70 better.
Tom the browning hunter that I looked @ had a satin finish on the stock.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Good luck

Good luck getting to Cabelas on Sat. Hope our "wonderful" PA road crews have the ice cleaned up by then. 81 should be OK. Nice store. Hope it is a good experience for you. Combining your other thread, you may want to browse the ammo shelves to see what you can find 7mm/08 vs. .308 as part of your decision. I did have a M70 featherweight (post '64) and I thought the stock was well designed. If you are deciding based on the trigger, the M70 trigger was very well thought of for many years, but I'd guess now they have too much travel or weight due to our wonderful legal system. A good gunsmith should be able to take care of that.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JOE PA
Good luck getting to Cabelas on Sat. Hope our "wonderful" PA road crews have the ice cleaned up by then. 81 should be OK. Nice store. Hope it is a good experience for you. Combining your other thread, you may want to browse the ammo shelves to see what you can find 7mm/08 vs. .308 as part of your decision. I did have a M70 featherweight (post '64) and I thought the stock was well designed. If you are deciding based on the trigger, the M70 trigger was very well thought of for many years, but I'd guess now they have too much travel or weight due to our wonderful legal system. A good gunsmith should be able to take care of that.
Joe I'm actually leaving tomorrow AM and leaving PA.Fri PM before the snow hits.
I plan on checking ammo availibility @ Cabelas cause if you can't get it there.....well you know the saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.