Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
best 22 target rifle? >

best 22 target rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best 22 target rifle?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default best 22 target rifle?

I would like some opinions as to what is the best .22 target rifle out there. Currently I am shooting a Ruger 10/22 carbine. There are books on how to customize the Ruger 22, but I figured why spend all kinds of money customizing it when maybe someone else makes a better rifle. I like the looks of the Savage rifles but have never shot one. Any opinions?

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't really go wrong with the Savage Mark II's. Very accurate and a lot of fun for cheap.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

The Savage guns look really nice. I want to use the gun for competition, but don't want to break the bank. I enjoy shooting with iron sights, so I'm looking for a rifle that has quality stock iron sights.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a mildly-modified ruger 10/22 target, and my fiancee' has a highly modified Ruger 10/22 that started out as a Carbine, AND she has a Savage Mark II BSEV (the "customized" factory model, top of the Mark II line).

I paid $450 for the factory rifle for my 10/22 Stainless Target. Out of the box, my 10/22 target shot CONSISTENT 3/4"-1" groups at 50yrds with a 6-24x scope. With the upgrades I've put into it, I'm now shooting 0.4-0.6" groups at 50yrds, and 1"-1 1/4" groups at 100yrds (better groups with match grade ammo). I bought a boyds thumbhole barracuda style stock for $100 on sale, did the fitting and bedding myself, I replaced the trigger with a power custom trigger kit (mild gunsmithing required), jeweled the trigger, bolt, and firing pin. Crisp 1.8lbs trigger pull. The rifle started at $450, adding the stock was another $100, the trigger kit was $70, extended mag release was $30 on sale, so not including the bedding job and the scope, I have about $650 in the rifle.

I paid $215 for my fiancee's 10/22 carbine (new). The barrel was $350, volquartsen trigger group $180 on sale, stock $200, new bolt $200, mag release $40, so all in all, we have about $1200-1400 in just the rifle. However, it shoots one ragged hole (.3-.35" usually) at 50yrds, and under 1" at 100yrds, 3/4" at 100yrds with match ammo.

My fiancee's Savage Mark II BSEV is a VERY impressive looking rifle. It comes with a spiral fluted heavy barrel with target crown, savage accutrigger, and thumbhole barracuda style stock. The only modification I have done was to jewel the bolt to make cycling easier and I bedded the stock. I paid $550 for the rifle. It shoots 3/4" at 50yrds with ease, 1/2" with match ammo.

So all in all, the Ruger is very hard to beat, but the Savage bolt guns are a price level cheaper, and shoot every bit as good. The trigger on the Savage is amazing. Getting an equally performing trigger on a 10/22 costs about $100 at a minimum.

If you're into fast action target shooting, then the semiauto has it's perks. If you prefer bench rest shooting, then the bolt action can really shine.

If you want something that LOOKS as good as it shoots, you can spend as much as you want customizing a 10/22. But to make a plain jane looking rifle that shoots 3/4" groups, you'll probably spend $100 on a stock ($75 on sale), and around $150 on a barrel. So the option is there, you probably have $200 in your carbine already, so that makes it about $450-500 total. That puts it right in line with what the 10/22 target OR the Savage Mark II's cost.

That said, if you're planning on open sight shooting, you'll have to install sights on pretty much ANY target rifle you pick. Most heavy barrel rifles will not have open sights, and if they do, then they won't be "target" sights. When I shot NRA indoor smallbore 3-position in college, I had a Win 52 with peep aperture sights that I loved, but then again, the rifle was over $2000, and weighed 21lbs and shot .25" groups at 50yrds. The peep sights are great for targets, not as much for hunting though.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

My Marlin 39 has actually MADE me money from bets when shooting it.
Shoots cheap lead 22s that choke other guns.
It's my favorite target gun!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

the aboslute best target rifle ive ever had was a my first real biathalon rifle. it was built by grunig and elminger on a anshultz 5018 action, grunig winter sporter weight barrel topped with a set of old feinwerkbau c60 whiteout diopter/globe/sightrail sights and the original grunig rs1 gemini reverse camber stock. of course its not a rifle for an average joes purposes but if you have a few grand burning a big hole in your pocket and if biathalon or open class sillhouette is practiced in your area then its well worth the money spent, espcially if you can find everything used but still mint like most shooters.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Remington 513 T you'll have to find one they are only 40 to 60 years old. LOL
Old 11-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Spike

I have been looking at the "Johnny Appleseed" project rifles which take a Ruger 22 and add a sling and GI-style sights. Has anyone done the Appleseed program? Looks interesting.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Spike

I have a CZ 452 American model. Not exactly your preferred target rifle but with a little tweaking made it extremely accurate. Bought the gun for $350 some years ago and added about $300 worth of modifications/accessories as well as a Leoupold VX-II ultralight $350. So you're looking @ roughly $1000 sporter rifle. Can fit 5 shots into a dime (sometimes a nickel) @ 75 yards using 34gr Win HP ammo. If that's out of your price range I'd say a rugger carbine or 77 model would be the way to go. At least that's the route I would've taken if 452s didn't exist.

As far as Savage goes my step father has one in .17 mach2 (can't remember exact model). He has both the 77/22 and 77/17 and after firing the little Savage, say's he'll never go back to his Rugers. I remember him saying that it's much easier to carry through the woods and he likes the bolt's action more as well as the safety. My uncle has one also. Same model and caliber i believe. He too also carries the Ruger 10/22. Says the same thing my step father says about the two. Me personally, have never shot a savage rimfire rifle so I'd have no say in it.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gringojosh
I have been looking at the "Johnny Appleseed" project rifles which take a Ruger 22 and add a sling and GI-style sights. Has anyone done the Appleseed program? Looks interesting.
Check out our Appleseed thread: http://huntingnet.com/forum/guns/329...ts-kansas.html

And the generic Appleseed site: http://appleseedinfo.org

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.