Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3 PROBLEM >

Tikka T3 PROBLEM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3 PROBLEM

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Tikka T3 PROBLEM

I just bought a brand new Tikka T3 Lite in .270 WSM, Left Hand. I did my research and was almost guaranteed an excellent product. I have to say I'm extremely disappointed ! I paid $768 for it. The first day I took it to the range to get it sighted in, the very first shot I fired, it JAMMED ! I could not pull back the bolt to extract the cartridge. Not even with two hands ! I had to stand it up on the ground and with both hands pull down the bolt to finally extract the shell. And so on for three more rounds. Then I decided to switch brands from Winchester Ballistic Silvertip to Federal Vital Shok and it continued for another two rounds. That's when I packed my stuff and got on the phone. As I'm sitting here typing, the gun is being looked at by the folks at MidWest GunWorks. What I think happens is there is not enough tolerance for the expansion of the cartridge in the chamber. I thought they test fire all their guns before shipping. I guess it was late Friday afternoon at the range in Finland. After a few bottles of Koskipanimo, It was Saturday morning so he scrambled and stumbled off the floor and out the door before his wife realized it wasn't him in bed. And thats how I ended up with this disaster.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too did alot of asking & research 2 years ago when I was in the market for a new rifle. Tikka got alot of good reviews. After fondiling the tikka & several other rifles I chose a Remington 700.

The tikka just seemed cheap to me. It didn't have the right feel.
I owned a 700 prior to the last one I bought so maybe that help sway me in my chose.

I'm sure that they'll straighten out your issue and you'll be happy with your choice......good luck.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

My T3 Light was accurate, and I took a deer and antelope with it in WY. When I got home, I sold it, because it just felt like a POS. I think I am biased against synthetic stocks, so I really have nothing against the brand.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is the chamber clean?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Spike

The first thing I did when I got it before mounting the scope, was clean the barrel and chamber. Adjust the trigger weight, It was plenty oiled and that was it.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

It was plenty oiled and that was it.
Did you leave oil in the chamber? When shooting a high pressure round like the WSMs, the brass case expands and needs to grip the chamber walls, or much of the pressure is slammed against the bolt. That's why you clean the oil from the chamber.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hoghunting
Did you leave oil in the chamber? When shooting a high pressure round like the WSMs, the brass case expands and needs to grip the chamber walls, or much of the pressure is slammed against the bolt. That's why you clean the oil from the chamber.
Oh I think it had a grip on the wall to the point where it didn't want to let go.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

The bolt was pushed back and the case shoulder expanded in length with an oily chamber. The bolt lugs were forced back into the receiver as far as possible and the expanded case was forcing it there. That makes the bolt difficult to open.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Sounds like you have a lemon?

I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in a .308 that is a dream to shoot and operate!! You did mention that you were shooting factory rounds, not your reloads right?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Spike

Premium factory ammo at that, some of these things are between $2 - $2.50 a shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.