Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What is the best woodchuck gun? >

What is the best woodchuck gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is the best woodchuck gun?

Old 07-06-2003, 04:42 PM

Default RE: What is the best woodchuck gun?

Iowabuckslayer,

If there was ever a new cartridge lineup that we did not need (less than the SAUM' s) it is the WSSM. The .223 WSSM is basically a .22-.250 and less than a .220 swift. The .243 WSSM is even worse. It is way behing the .240 Weatherby and not that much more ahead of the original. It barely passes the .25-06 and comes up short to the .257 Weatgherby. Granted these are 25 caliber, but still it' s competition.

I would buy a WSSM and a SAUM fast because in the next year or too I predict they will no longer be chambered in factory rifles and a few years after that the ammo will be gone to.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:55 PM

Well, When I go whistle pig hunting, I like the .22-250 in a Rem. Sendero. Very accurate gun. Some like the fluted barrel since it increases the surface area of the Barrel, resulting in a quicker " cool down" , but how often do you shoot at groundhogs. I can see it with target shooting I guess. And also, I prefer a heavy Bull BBL, but it may not be necessary. It is said to increase accuracy with the extra weight, but if youre out afield, who wants to carry around a 9 to 10 pound gun ....maybe a young' n like myself . If you are used to shooting a standard bbl, stick with it, since you know how it shoots.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:01 PM

Oh, and another thing

I would never use a new cartridge for atleast a couple years. Main reason.....you don' t know how good the round is at accuracy...sure the Short magnums and S.A mags and WSS mags will burn powder quicker, and have a higher pressure, resulting in a faster round (like they advertise) , but is it accurate????! You wont know til you spend 600 dollars on a gun to try it. I hear a lot of stories on these rounds.....I hear (may not be true) that it burns the rifling out of the barrel quicker than the standard round....I also hear that they arent consistent. But you' ll never know for a few years cause It is almost impossible to find brass for the rounds for reloading!! After you buy the gun, you might sit it in the corner, and stick with ' ol faithful......I' ll wait for the feedback

Just My opinion...
Old 07-06-2003, 09:09 PM

you brought up some good points there MBuckH72.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve killed countless numbers of chucks with the .243 over the years! A little bit of advice, buy QUALITY OPTICS for the long shot' s...
Old 07-07-2003, 10:57 AM

I bought mine from a local Mom and Pop outfit here in the area(Jud Bailey - The Workshop - Custom Rifles St Albans Maine 1-207-938-3595)If that is out of the question for you then go to the link supplied below although I' m sure Jud will get you one and ship it to your FFL just like GunsAmerica will do.Never pay retail for your guns,do a little shopping around and you will find them for a lot less than retail.Right now $525-550 is the going " good" price for the 12BVSS and man is it a nice gun!Private message me if you want to hear all about it if you decide on getting one.Mine shot 3/4" with factory green box Remington ammo in the first 20 rounds and the barrel isn' t even broke in yet, now the handloading starts to get to 1/4-1/2" ,all this in a factory out of the box rifle with zero tuning or mods,just like it left Savage.

woods

http://www.gunsamerica.com/
Old 07-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7.62 x 39mm SKS is a cheap gun to buy and operate. It' s not the most flat shooting rifle but it' s good for varmint control up to 250 yds.

Dan O.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:40 PM

I use 17,22,22-250,243, 270,300ultra mag also use shot gun.I mainly use my 22-250 win.stealth..Like most people said get a good scope.I have a leupold vari x 111 6.5-20-40.The 300 ultra mag does wonders to whistle pigs but might expensive to shoot
Old 07-12-2003, 07:11 PM

Best chuck gun, Hmmmm, why the .366D.G.W.!!!! With 250 grain Ballistic tips you got nothing to bury, and if you miss, well you got another chuck hole ready for another chuck to move into.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: What is the best woodchuck gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.