Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-30 for deer >

30-30 for deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 for deer

Old 07-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 30-30 for deer

if you have not shot a new short mag then you have no idea why people are buying these new guns.for one thing the bolt pull is almost an inch shorter resulting in faster reloading.two the recoil is much less than that of the standard magnums.so much less that my wife will shoot my dads 300 short mag but not my 7mm rem mag.that is why people buy them and if you would read the articles in the magazines you would know this!
Old 07-06-2003, 09:42 PM

I wouldn' t use a 30-30, not that its a bad round, but because I like other calibers over that one. I' ve used a 30-06 for years, as well as my 6.5x55 swed mauser....I know how they shoot....
Old 07-06-2003, 11:27 PM

the length of the stroke on the bolt is not normally a consideration for a person who picks his shot.i can count on one hand how many times i needed a quick second shot with a bolt action.futhermore,what is the purpose for going to a wsm when not gaining any flatter trajectory or knockdown?i am not debating the issue ,i am just trying to find any justification other than just wanting a new toy.i haven' t used a 30-30 in 30 years but there is no doubt in my mine i could kill as many deer as i wanted.i might have to move a stand or two to get inside 175 yds.i did kill several deer with a model 336 marlin until i changed to a 30-06.the reason i changed was because my shots were from 200-300 yards instead of 150 yds.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guys bashing it most likely haven' t use it. It' s an excellent deer round and is capable of killing deer as far as 90% of the hunters out there have any business shooting.
Horse feathers.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ahhh yes, the ultimate " Hail Mary" of deer hunting!
Hunt with the 30-30 because 90% of the shots are inside 100 yards.
see a good deer at 2, 300 yards, fling ' em a " Hail Mary"
If you are lucky, you will find the deer,.................Or you will miss COMPLETELY!
If you are unlucky, the deer will suffer a long, slow death, or you will have a long, hard tracking job!!!!!!
I know, because I' ve tracked deer half the night, and ended up with a handfull of leg bones, because some idiot, using the " faithfull 30-30, did" nt know how to judge distance! (Not really uncommon, just flatter shooting guns have more room for error!)
I' ve also had friends miss trophy bucks, " kicking up dust in front of a deer!"
Because he used his faithful 30-30, because he did not like the recoil of his 30-06!
Again. the 30-30 is a SKILLED shooters gun, WITHIN 125 YARDS or so!!!
NOT A KIDS gun, or a GOOD gun at all! With all the GOOD choices available today, why choose the 30-30?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

because some idiot, using the " faithfull 30-30, did" nt know how to judge distance
If he is a true idiot, I doubt he is smart enough to learn how to shoot at 2-300yds. with an ultra mag. Of course, he could get lucky and hit the deer, but he still has to make a good shot even with the mag.

That being said, a lot of people when they hear the term " ballistic table" think that they must be having beans for supper, and they don' t have any idea what their rifle is capable of or not capable of.

My only gripe is that some people talk like the 30-30 has to hit squarely broadside on the deer, or it will just riquochet off the thin skinned white-tail and put somebody' s eye out. What they don' t seem to comprehend is that not all hunters are pipeline watchers, and that some actually like to get in the woods on a rub line or travel route and wait for the Bucks who are too smart to step out on an open pipeline in the daytime. In that situation, the 30-30 can easily be a 100% success rate rifle that you can have full confidence in.

C. Davis
Old 07-11-2003, 02:43 AM

I think every high power cartridge has its place. I primarily hunt with a .270, but I will not knock the 30-30. It does actually have some advantages and depending on where you live and the size of the game you are hunting the 30-30 might be suitable. I like the 30-30 because they are lightweight and that is a bonus if you are spending hours stalking deer. They have light recoil, which means you will shoot more rounds through it....hence becoming a more skilled marksman. And they are an all around fun gun to have.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:51 PM

Skimmed back over all the posts....

For those who actually post where they live, it seems those east of the Mississippi River condone 30-30' s for deer and for the most part, with one notable exception, those west of the Mississippi River condemn it. Suits me.

Also noted that the majority that do defend using the 30-30 for deer in the same breath mention they are NOW using something else for deer hunting --- something else that is inevitably more powerful and has more reach -- 270' s and 6.5mm' s and such.

Just pointing out what I see.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 07-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have 2 30-30' s a winchester model 94 made in 1947 that i have taken over 20 deer in the last few years with and a marlin 336 given to me by my grandfather. They are great guns and will definetly take deer. I took a large doe with mine a few years back at around 120 yards with open sights she dropped like i was using a .300. I really like the remington core-lokts in 170 gr. I finally retired the ol lever gun and got a model 700 in 7mm mag but the 30-30 is still my main back up gun because i know it is going to be there if i need it. Im sure if you did some research the 30-30 is in the top5 guns for taking the most game animals in history.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: 30-30 for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.