Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is a .338 win mag too big for deer? >

Is a .338 win mag too big for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is a .338 win mag too big for deer?

Old 06-24-2003, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is a .338 win mag too big for deer?

how does the .338 compare in recoil to a 12 gauge slug or turkey load?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:13 AM

I cannot speak for a 12 guage slug load, but a 12guage 3 1/2" turkey load kicks FAR worse than a .338 Magnum. Not even close.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:34 AM
bigcountry

12ga 3" slugs beats the crap out of a man. 338Win Mag is a ***** cat compared to it. I shoot a 300RUM every week or so with no problems, but still dread that week before I go on this shotgun hunt on the eastern shore of MD and have to get some practice with the sluggun. But things have changed. I recently got one those semi autos golds and recoil has shot down with it.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just because it' s a 338 don' t think you still can make errors in aiming....i have seen a couple of small mule deer run off after being wacked with 338' s and 340 weatherbys and have them run 100 yards or more.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

GtBuzz you are correct ..a 3 1/2" mag is much worse recoilwise than any 338
Old 06-24-2003, 11:32 AM

Yea on second thought still too much gun. Not needed, you will suffer.

I would never tell you to pick up a great deal on a 10ga pump if you only hunt pheasants and shoot trap. Like I said before buy it - Trade it. If it' s that great of a deal.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

according to the chart in my reloading book a 12 gauge and a 338 are the same in the kick department. i was pondering the same question. you can make some very specific loads for it. just dont ask me if i shoot my 338 in the summer time.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:21 PM
bigcountry

Is that a 12ga, or a 12ga 1oz slug 3.5" or what?

Old 06-24-2003, 08:39 PM

Forestore,

I like going for the Ford F350 Super Duty, but that' s just me...... here' s a few things for you to weigh;

Let' s see here. Sounds like you don' t know if you really want it and sounds like you haven' t asked your father-in-law if he is interested. You might want to ask. If he' s not interested then it' s down to what you want. Given that you have to ask and in the same breath allude that you have no use for it, then it may not be right for you. However, in response to your question " Is it too big for deer?" .......

Nope, puts them down like they were hit by lightening -- and if you are a perfect shot like everyone here appears to be, then the " deer shot of choice" i.e. the old hit ' em right behind the shoulder will leave all your meat intact. PS -- You can also hit them less than perfect and still have them hit by lightening.

Here' s a few " notes" (observations) to weigh as you sort out what to do about that 338 WinMag that is tempting you.

Note: Don' t be confused by the reference to 338 RUM, Winnie Mag is easier going.

Note: I' m betting most of those whose rack or experience don' t go over 30-06 are the ones saying " it' s too big" AND I' m betting most of those whose rack or experience does go up to 338 WinMag or bigger are the ones saying it works just fine for deer. One group has experience with it and the other group for the most part is just theorizing. Ask yourself which group (experience or theory) you listen to in other areas of your life.

Note: How many rounds a year (dozens??? hundreds??? thousands???) do you have to shoot through a high powered scoped rifle (EITHER standard cartridges OR magnums) to be " accurate with it?" Personally, I don' t think very many -- scoped highpowered rifles are really a " simpleton' s" tool -- they don' t take much talent to use. (Maybe that is why they are my favorite!)

We practice mostly with .223 and .308 and just " sprinkle in" the magnums from time to time. The guns work the same, and are all sighted in at 200 yards. Even the NFL doesn' t practice in full gear and full contact scrimmage all the time. Think about it.

Archery okay, I can see it -- lots and lots of reps.
Sharps distance shooting with iron sites, okay I can see it -- lots and lots of reps.
Blue rock shooting, I can see it -- lots and lots of reps.

But a scoped highpower rifle?.... sighted in?...... at reasonable distances?..... especially with a rest? Cooooome on --- it ain' t that hard --- put the little x on the " kill spot" and squeeze the trigger --- small wonder bowhunters generally have so little respect for the supposed " challenges" of rifle hunting.[:@]

Note: Recoil? Could it be that turkey hunters are " iron men" of American Hunting and the majority of " high power" rifle hunters are the (ahemm) " lesser iron men" of the lot? I hate to think so but you gotta admit this thread kind of leans a bit that way.[X(]

Go talk to the father-in-law, if the two of you end up getting it you could end up liking real power a lot.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 06-24-2003, 11:12 PM

The distances you shoot a shotgun as opposed to a .338 are more forgiving. I dont know anybody who shoots a shotgun 300 + yards. When shooting that far accuracy is very important for an ethical hunter. I personally don' t want to be off 8 inches due to recoil at 350 yards. Like my earlier suggestion, have it if you must..but you will shoot more often with a smaller, less expensive cartridge...hence becoming a more accurate marksman. Just my $.02

-Hector

Quick Reply: Is a .338 win mag too big for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.